1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I go ahead and mute the MotoAmerica streaming?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jun 16, 2019.

1. I decided to go ahead and pay the $70 for the MotoAmerica on demand. I’ve seen a few comments here and there about the announcers, but I figured it was just people being picky.

I wanted to start with the Twins race, then SS, then SB, and work my way through the season.

I’m watching it now; they haven’t even launched the Twins race and I already see what everyone has been talking about.

The first thing I hear is someone in the (way too close) background saying “you will have to help me, I have no idea who any of these guys are”.

Then, they go on about someone losing their cell phone in the women’s bathroom.

Lastly (at least for now), and this is a big one, as the Twins riders were coming to their grid spots, they give the damn results of the Superbike race!

Seriously, WTF?

They go on about how Boobie charged through the field, tell who got the holeshot, and was going on about some other shit while I was pausing it.

Have they ever seen a World race? Haven’t they heard the announcers saying “we won’t spoil it, but the Moto3 race was spectacular” and things like that?

The announcers are almost intolerable already, and I am less than 3 minutes into the first broadcast, that I just paid $70 for.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The web feed audio is the same as the announcing for the track. They have a small tv screen to watch on and a scoring feed.

Quit whining.

Motohead8 and jksoft like this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

4. No.

I paid $70, I can whine.

I felt good about the $70 because I thought it was contributing to the sport in some way, but this is ridiculous.

Does it get better throughout the year? Is it just first race announcing jitters?

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No it is not. You paid 70 bucks so you could see live footage you'll have no other way of seeing. If you don't like the announcers then don't listen. If the results ruin watching a race then stay off the internet. Especially when that race was shown on that exact same feed you are now watching... It's not rocket science and it's not remotely the same as WSB or MotoGP. You're not getting the support classes in those series - which is exactly what this coverage is. It's for the fans of those in those support classes.

6. Putting whatever feed they are using aside, they should at least do some homework so they can run a professional broadcast.

It is obvious they don’t know who anyone is (after someone actually said it on the mic). They’ve already butchered several names.

7. Agreed.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't totally disagree but if it's local announcers doing some of it they don't have the time on a 2 day event to wander the pits learning ever riders name and colors and such. The support classes are not the professional broadcast. It is the support broadcast. The professional broadcast is the main classes with Greg and Jason and Hannah. Those three are at every round and know the riders and teams. But even they can get details wrong as they're watching the same feed you are but most likely on a smaller screen.

The.Johnner likes this.
  9. Ok, I’ll concede to that point and hold further judgements until I watch the SB race.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'll grudgingly agree with gixxer you don't spoil the previous race for viewers. No excuse.

12. I do have one more comment though. :D

While I get what you are saying, with the introduction of this on-demand streaming, the announcers (all of them) have to call the race with the understanding that it isn’t just local anymore.

This feed can potentially be seen by people worldwide, even the support classes. They should call it accordingly. The website is top notch. The layout, graphics, interface, etc...is as good as any, including MotoGP. Then you watch the first race and that is what you hear.

If they want to comment about a prior race, then say something like “we had a very unexpected result in race 1”, or “what a surprise in the SB race”, so on and so forth. There is no need to broadcast results.

While we all hate to lose a cell phone, Sandra’s iPhone doesn’t need to be broadcasted to the world. Again, they should act as if the whole racing world is listening. The ultimate goal is that at some point, they will be.

turbulence likes this.
  13. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

The Stock1000 and Twins announcers get better each round, but still are hard to listen to at times.

It's always been hard to listen to GW live because he tries too hard at times, which is weird because I enjoy listening during his podcast (maybe because JP43 talks more shit during the podcast than on live broadcast).

r6boater likes this.
  14. All true and I think as time goes on Greg seems to be getting worse and Jason, who’s always been good is getting even better. Greg seems to be a bit off this year for some reason. Just a useless non valid opinion to this conversation :) On the “support” races, I’m back and forth on this one. The announcing is horrible and I know who does it but I’m just thankful to have live video so look past it. On the other hand they sold a service which I happily bought as I can look past the horrific announcing on those races but not every person will. They are selling a service and part of that service is audio. I don’t expect Drebber quality but at this point I’ll take a drunk Sadawski over bumbling idiots. Most supper classes I have the volume muted and you should not have to do that on a paid service.
    Side note: regardless I’ll renew this as it’s still a bargain even if it was just video and a timing screen.

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Those announcers got a lot of flack after the Road Atlanta round about giving away the SBK results and have since been better about not doing it (I'm assuming you're trying to catch up and are just now watching Road Atlanta race).

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And again - they are the paddock/track announcers. Part of that job is announcing about Sandras lost iphone, luckily a lot of the business end of things is done via the team radios setup they have but things for the fans in the paddock and at the track cannot be done that way, it has to go over the PA system. They do no currently have the budget for a third set of announcers to do only the web feed.

When the whole world pays for the feed an is listening they can hire that third entire crew.

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

they did get better about not disclosing other race results as rounds went by if i recall. And GW and JP do a better job in the sb/ss races, but that's to be expected.
    Wanna know what announcer i can't stand? and i'm pretty docile about this kinda thing... the guy in WSBK. Good grief. Has anyone watch the series "Flight of the Conchords" , that comedy about a 2 man band from New Zealand? Their idiot band manager... look it up. If you don't know who i'm talkin about, you WILL "lol" when you hear that guy. and swear it has to be the same guy announcing in WSBK.

18. blue03R6

blue03R6 Well-Known Member

Just get sling and add the sports package for the summer. $37 and you get FS2 for motoamerica and beIN sports for sbk and motogp

19. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

As a matter of interest, when the first second and third calls are made for races does that get broadcast over the whole circuit? ie does the spectator at a corner well away from the paddock have the race call interrupted and hear the call for the competitors?

20. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

but that doesn't get you liquid moly or the twins cup races or the sstock1000 races in MA. ... or practices, or qualifying ;) $70 is a pretty good deal honestly for the MA stuff. announcing not withstanding.

Gorilla George and blue03R6 like this.