1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I consider this bike for a track bike?

Discussion in 'Other' started by code3ryder, Aug 16, 2020.

1. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

2. Str8-Lurkin

Str8-Lurkin Well-Known Member

Looks very clean I had a 03 and a 04 cbr. They are great bikes, easy to work on and crash very well. Do note they are extremely underpowered even with a tune etc. For a litle more $ you could snag a r6 or 636.

I sold both of my cbrs and snagged a r6 years ago and haven't looked back. R6 is a better track bike imo. I tracked both the cbrs and r6 for +2yrs each.

In regards to the spark plug blow out... I'm curious as go how that happen. Did you ask?

Had +30k and +20k miles on the cbrs when I sold them years ago and they still ran well.

Good luck with your decision. Seriously you will have $3.5-4k into the bike getting it track ready. Too much for a cbr imo especially in 2020.

code3ryder likes this.
  3. RoidRageFool

RoidRageFool @FundedByWifeRacing

I don't think the $2000 is necessarily a bad price, however I would be cautious with the blown out spark plug. He even mentioned that the head block needs to be re threaded. If you could do that on your own, maybe, but I can't imagine that would be a cheap fix otherwise. Not to mention, what caused the issue in the first place.
    I'm not sure where you live, but depending, the season will be over in 3 months for us up north. If you think you will wait until next year, wait until winter. Bikes tend to be cheaper. I bought my 2007 GSXR 600 in Fall of 2016 for $2000 and it had less then 5,000 miles on the odometer. It did need a bit of TLC, but after a long winter project, it has treated me well. Not to mention, I have thrown way more money into it then I would ever get out of it over the past 3 years. Good luck with whatever you do. Just remember, between this forum and ebay, you can often get parts for the older model bikes relatively cheap.
    There is also the option of saving up just a bit more cash, and picking up someones used track bike here on the forum, but I'm sure you already know that.

4. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

I dunno, seems like a roulette at this point. I picked up my fully tracked GSXR for 3K. It had everything, I mean EVERYTHING you could possibly want(suspension, case covers, rearsets, clip ons, brembo MC, etc). Take that into consideration before spending 2K on a (old)bike and another 2K to set it up.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Id ask how does a spark plug just blow out?? It doesnt...

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

In a Ford, yes... in a Honda, unusual.

Phl218, R1M370 and TurboBlew like this.
  7. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Appreciate the feedback fellas. Going to pass on it and look towards a set up track bike

8. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

The re-thread would be between $200-400 depending on who you have do it.
    Its complicated not to get shavings into the motor so let a professional do it.

9. Tim Dobbertin

Tim Dobbertin Well-Known Member

Eh, just have to take your time. I did the same on my old fold explorer. Make sure to grease the tap to it captures a lot of the shavings to begin with. Have air on hand to help blow the cyl out.

10. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

Cbr600rr is by far the best handling bike I have ever taken around a track. Yes they are Alittle underpowered compaired to other 600s but they are just on rails in the corner. You can make back lots of time there. Its more fun to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow I believe is the line we like to use lol