1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Short race boot recommendation

Discussion in 'General' started by ChuckS, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Due to a previous lifetime as a weightlifter (and peculiar genetics), I've got REALLY big calves. So most "hi-rise" race boots that fit my foot (US 9.5) won't close around my calf.

Anybody got a recommendation on a shorter boot? One that doesn't come so far up the calf?

And, a place that's got them on hand so's I can test fit?

TIA

Chuck

2. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

I would recommend a good dirt bike boot, and add sliders.

One with a hinged ankle, like a Gaerne SG-10 or the like.

3. desmo

desmo Well-Known Member

I have cows instead of calves as well and have found the Dainese boots designed to go inside the leathers to work really well. I have the Axial Race which are a little lower rise than standard and have some give in their uppers. Only bad thing is you have to make sure your leathers will fit over them, worst case you could probably get them altered to fit with more stretch panel.

I have also heard people have good luck with Sidi Vortice, but for me even with them adjusted all the way out it was a very tight fit.

4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Alpinestar Supertech's are pretty short. No way will you fit an offroad boot-they come up WAY higher than a road race boot.

5. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I have huge calves as well and the Sidis fit with leathers under them. We have just about every size in stock and will swap you out if they dont fit.

6. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Trackstar, I checked out those Sidis on your website, looks like exactly what I need.
    PM coming.

7. The Alpinestars SMX-R are pretty big at the top (designed for the leathers to go inside) and the adjuster reaches pretty far.

You calf could probably fit in them, the question would be where will your leathers go?

8. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Just don't forget the boots must be legal per the FRB requirements:
    EDIT: I'm assuming you want to use them for WERA events...

9. Mxer485

Mxer485 Well-Known Member

Sent ya a pm!!:beer:

10. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

They're made with the idea your gear tucks into them.

They also have more adjust ability on the calve side.

11. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

No way I could ride on off road boots. I cant even supermoto in my MX boots.

12. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

I have big calves and my Astrars have plenty of room.....with more to go.

13. marshdrummer

marshdrummer Well-Known Member

I have HUGE calves!! The ONLY boot that fits me is the A* supertech R's and I've tried them ALL. Vortice's don't even come close!

14. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

TrackStar rules it. Good recommendation, good fit, good deal on a freshy fresh fathead Shoei too. Two thumbs up!