1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shop Light question

Discussion in 'General' started by wera176, Nov 6, 2004.

1. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

I knew the answer to this once, but that brain cell has long since died:

I have flourecent lights in my garage. When it is cold in the garage, they have a lot of trouble firing up, they just kinda glow at either end. I knew there are tubes that are made for a less than warm enviroment, anyone know what type that is? High Energy or something like that?

Heck, while I am testing the vast wealth of knowledge and experience on the bbs: we need a new upright vac. What type/brand works the best for a moderate price (i.e I'm not buying a Filter Queen or Rainbow!). Are those bagless Panasonics as good as the claim?

Off to the web!

2. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

use a regular dark yellow bulb to keep the moths away like the rest of us rednecks:Poke:

3. ltyson

ltyson .

The shop light question- not sure.

But the best uprights are made by SEBO or Lindhaus. Should be able to find on-line for $550 to $700. Less then the $1200 or so of some of the other models that don't work.

Larry

4. wera176

I can't find them in flourencent! (sp)

Plus, there ain't many moths in Ohio in December!

But thanks for the tip! ;)

5. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

My wife bought a bagless Electrolux for $200 at WalMart (I think) and it is by far the best I've ever used...it's better than my buddy's Kirby (I know, amazing) with pet hair. THis is not to say that it is the best around, but in the amount-of-$-that-a-reasonable-person-might-like-to-spend-on-a-vacuum categotry I give it 2 thumbs up!

6. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

The flourecent is going to be a ballast issue. You most likely have a energy conserving ballast if it was bought or replaced in the last 6 years. These have porblems firing up when cold. You can look at an lighting store for the old style ballast or ask them if they have a solution, have not heard of a cold weather flourecent.

Other option that will fire and works real well is Neon (not red) you can get a pure white neon that is great for shop use I think it is K6500 or maybe K3500 (one is blue white other is pure white). you can have the lighting made to size and wiring it is pretty easy.
    be warned though it can get pricey but there is a lot of light output awhere you want it and can be very effective lighting a room with minimal shadows.

Here is the guys I use, tell Scott Eric sent you

Vac

I bought a Hepa filter Eureka at Wally World it works real well at dog hair but it has a tendency to get dog hair wrapped around the beater bar (I have not seen one that doesn't with Golden hair). I saw some info recently that I cannot put my finger on about the bagless systems about putting dust back into the room; makes sense to me the bag is a filter so the bagless systems remove one filter from the system and have to rely on a screen filter that would seem to plug or bypass easier than a traditional bag vac with an added HEPA filter(s).

7. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

I used the cheap flourescents from Home Depot (under $15) with the electronic ballasts in my trailer. Never any issues with cold starting, just a bit of a 60 cycle flicker until they have been running for a few minutes.

Don

8. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

you want high output fluorescent fixtures with zero degree ballast.

9. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

or you can get the sub-transcient bulbs with the thermal expander adapter...

10. racer212

racer212 Well-Known Member

Oreck...

Oreck XL vac's are great. They'll dam near suck the carpet off the floor, and very quiet when doing it. Handy after a long night binge drinking... etc.

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Buy a portable heater for you garage. You won't have any probs and then you'll also be warm and toasty. :)

[​IMG]

12. jck22903

jck22903 zee 500, eez like, Faaack

Yeh, it's should be easy to find low-temp ballasts for these lights. That's how large walk-in coolers are lit.

13. wera176

Need a bigger one than that! It's a 3 bay garage... I do have a propane heater there, but I don't having it running round the clock! :D

Everyone, thanks for the help! On the vac: We actually bought a Dyson today. The cheap Kenmore we had lasted 10 years, so we figure this one should last at least that. Little more than I wanted to spend, but with 2 young ones running around, a good vac is probably a good idea!

Off to find some low-temp ballasts and high energy tubes!

Thanks again!

:beer:

14. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Get the High output lights they work great they do use some more power but they are brighter and do not flicker when cold. Plus they do not humm like the reg lights. The HO bulbs have two terms on the ends.