1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shock/Spring question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gixxerjoe, May 18, 2010.

1. gixxerjoe

gixxerjoe Well-Known Member

Hey all, I have a first gen SV650 elka 2 way shock that is set-up with a 525 spring. I know it is under sprung.

I have the correct spring #650 for my weight thou.

For track purposes, would I be better off with the spring as is and Jack up the comp/rebound or swap springs with the incorrect valving on the shock but with correct spring?

I know I have to send it in to get it valve right. But timing is an issue.

What are your thoughts?

2. TrackF3

TrackF3 Well-Known Member

If you put the correct spring on that will reduce the stress on the valving.

3. gixxerjoe

So I should swap springs? The handling will be better with correct spring rate but valving off correct?

Thx.

4. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

no way of telling. But with the small spring your exits will suck big time as the bike goes wide. Is it a gen one elka? Be sure it's long enough. And beware that some of the early elkas were total shit

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  5. gixxerjoe

Yes, it's actually on my bike now with the #525 and I set it about 13 7/8". It's fine for street/sprinted riding but track is another story.

How do I tell if mines is a early model?

6. gixxerjoe

afm199,

Anyway to tell if I have crap model?

7. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

When it pukes oil

8. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I say replace the spring... (Your Elka should have enough adjustment to acomodate that spring...)

There is a 4 digit serial number etched on the body of the shock... Get the number and call Elka... They will give you all the information on the shock as it left Elka... ask manufacture date, spring rate, ect, etc... Tell them that you are swaping the spring... They will give you the recommended settings on your compression and rebound for the new spring...

Elka customer sevice was much better than I expected... Good luck... Luis

9. gixxerjoe

I'll just swap out for the correct spring for my weight and see how see feels.

Hopefully, it won't puke with the stiffer spring.

10. gixxerjoe

SV650R,

Ty very much for info!

11. Europa

Europa Open The Throttle

FYI most valving will only work within 1 to 1.5 spring rates. 525 to 650 is almost 2.5 spring rates up. It will simply not work properly. One spring rate is 50#. The new spring will overwhelm the existing valving if infact it is valved for that spring. Remember the spring alone is worthless without the proper valving to control it.

12. gixxerjoe

Agreed. However, can we look at it in a front fork perspective?

We all agree the stock forks are weak... But throw in stiffer fork springs and that helps the front end, EMU, AK20, gets better and better, so on and so forth.

Wouldn't the shock perform in such a manner? From where I am to better but not the optimal best with what I have?

Wadda u think?

13. Europa

Europa Open The Throttle

Umm sorry that is flawed logic at its best. Please compare the spring rates of forks to shocks. You do not run a 650lbs spring in your front end, if you did the result would be the same no control over the spring.

Forks spring rate 1.0kg/mm
    Shock spring rate 11.6kg/mm

This should make it clearer.

PS: forks should also be revalved for optimal performance unless you are just swapping the spring from a progressive to a straight rate but maintaning the same rate ec .85kg/mm.
    Just cause you can kind of get away with it in some instances does not make it correct.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  14. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I think he has timing issues... The shock has a really soft spring for his need...

The heavier spring would work for his event, better than the soft spring... The valving needs to be re worked, we all agree!!!He can change the spring in 15-20 minutes...It is not for a permanent hot set up...

However, for the time being, he can use the stiffer spring and crank up compresion and rebound to help control it... As soon as timing is not a big issue he should have his shock serviced and re-valved as needed.

Pick your least Evil set up... Luis

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  15. gixxerjoe

Right, timing is an issue and we could agreed shock won't control the 650# spring completely, maybe not at all, HA! But would be better than the 525#, correct?

Now, at worst, this shock won't pogo me off the bike right?

Just doing a track day, first one of the season so no flying hot laps. But would like to have fun knee down, etc..

16. Europa

Europa Open The Throttle

I hear you. I just hate to see guys putting themselves at risk and trying to justify a bad move. I have 20 years of racing and suspension tuning experience. This could be done right in about an hour. I'm sure he can find someone to do it for him in time. Racing in its self is dangerous enough. What track will you be at and when?

17. gixxerjoe

NJMP, June 6th. Your from queens?

I'm from flushing!

18. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

GixxerJoe... That 650lbs/inch spring seems really heavy for a 2nd Gen SV650...

My buddy is at 235lbs and he race on a 575 lbs/inch... How big of a guy are ya?

Luis

19. Europa

Europa Open The Throttle

He has a 1 gen, different leverage ratios...:beer: