1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping fork?

Discussion in 'General' started by archrider, Mar 18, 2016.

1. archrider

archrider Active Member

Question for the experienced here. What is the best way to ship forks? Make box and fill with packing paper? Long Rubbermaid tub?

2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Cheap plastic rifle case.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  3. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

+1 to the case. Though I put the case in a box too.

My friend brought just the case in to be shipped, but the employee didn't know if they could or not. She called her boss and started the conversation with "so there's a customer here, and it's not a gun...". Brilliant.

BigBird likes this.
  4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Remember that UPS will add a stupid surcharge if it is not cardboard, so wrap the gun case in cardboard or send it FedEx.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This and this. End of thread.

6. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Spray in foam insulation/sealant, aka Great stuff.
    Get your self a box ... :rolleyes:
    Spray some foam into the bottom of your box ... (If this is the first time you have sprayed foam in a box, go slow, it might be surprising how much it expands ... )
    Before the foam sets, place a plastic barrier (use one side of a big garbage bag) over the foam, and 'snuggle' the forks down into the foam.
    After the bottom foam sets, place another plastic barrier (the other half of the garbage bag) over the forks, and spray more foam into the box. Let it set, and then trim to fit. Leave enough foam that the box fully closes, and firmly (yet gently) holds your forks.
    The plastic keeps the foam from sticking to the forks, and allows the 'return' shipping, in the same box.
    Remember, that if you take good care of your box, it will allow you many happy shipments ...:D

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Rick said it best up there.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Hmmm? Maybe a combination of this and the rifle case?

9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

No, there's plenty of padding, go to wally world or some other place that has them on sale. Tape the catches all the way around, wrap it in cardboard if you feel it is necessary.

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I just bought a Cabelas 'Double Rifle' case, it was on sale. Shipped it UPS via Staples. I ziptied it at the lock points, and it is clearly marked 'not a firearm' on the label.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  11. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Winner winner