1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...shipping an engine...

Discussion in 'General' started by Capt Home Slice, May 6, 2007.

1. Capt Home Slice

Capt Home Slice Well-Known Member

I'm looking for the best company to have an engine shipped from S.F. to Mi. The seller wants $540 for shipping and that seems a little unreasonable.

Thanks.

2. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

I have shipped several engines, strapped onto pallets via Forward Air. A ZX9R motor cost $160 to ship. Never a problem and very quick delivery.
    I shipped an EX250 motor via UPS heavyweights in a padded plastic tub and it was destroyed...like they rolled it around.

3. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

I have shipped/received several air cooled twin motors in the rubber made tubs, they arrived fine. The method I have used is to put a piece of 3/8" wafer board or plywood in the bottom of the container then stuff the rest with Styrofoam etc. I then zip tie the lid on by poking holes through it and the container. I then duct tape the lid all the way around. cheap, takes about 15 minutes to tidy it all up.. has worked great for me personally. They had to go heavy weight UPS as you said, this would not be a suitable choice for a larger motor...

4. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

5. Capt Home Slice

Capt Home Slice Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the suggestions. :up:

6. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

I have shipped several GSXR engines in the past using the rubbermaid container method and all of them thru UPS or Fedex.

I reinforced the bottom with heavy duty cardboard or wood, layed in the engine in and braced it with styrofoam and other packing material. Then wrapped the living shit out of the lid and entire container with packing tape. Never a problem and always ran me around $150 insured.

7. Ontheedgeprsprt

Ontheedgeprsprt Pumpkin riders

We shipped an EX500 motor with the rubbermaid method, it arrived destroyed. Try www.freightquote.com they've been real reasonable

8. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

I've shipped 50+ 600cc inline 4 motors mostly through FedEx ground and a few through UPS. It takes some work to make a wooden crate that will keep the combined weight under 150#, but you can do it...

For the record, FedEx ground is great on price, reliability and delivery, but is probably the worst organized company I've ever encountered in my life... After nearly ending in court with them over their broken billing system, I finally ended up severing ties with them (which took me almost a year to do). Never had a billing problem with UPS, but have had some smaller items broken/lost.

9. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I've used Forward Air with good results. It's not hard to build a crate and have it get there in one piece.

10. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Hell, you can ship a whole bike for less than that:down:

11. David Grey

David Grey Well-Known Member

shippoing in rubbermade

i purchased an engine, it was shipped to me in a rubber made container, when it got to me it was all messed up sensor broken off, engine mount tab broken off.

best thing to do is make a engine craight, should not take anymore than an hour and about 25.00 in wood.