1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping a Motor

Discussion in 'General' started by dmurphy48, Apr 17, 2011.

1. dmurphy48

dmurphy48 Well-Known Member

I am looking to ship a SV 650 motor across the country and am looking for some help in how to package it. Someone told me that a simple plastic tub and the expandable spray foam will do it but I can't seem to find a tub that will work with a SV 650 motor. Any thoughts from people that have shipped motors before?

thanks

Dale

2. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

If you shipping it by a truck carrier it will have to be on a pallet. I had one shipped wrapped in shrink and strapped down on a pallet with ratchet straps and it made it ok from fla. To pa. I also had one crated in a plywood box on a pallet from ca. To pa. With no problems, both were thru yellow freight carriers. I would defiantly wrap it in a plastic bag before you use the spray foam stuff, you'll have to chisel it off if you don't.

3. dmurphy48

dmurphy48 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information although I can't find Yellow Freight Carriers on the internet. What did you end up paying for the shipment?

Thanks again, it is a good starting point.

4. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

I went thru freightquote.com . I think the fl. shipment was 160.00 & the ca. One was 225.00

5. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Dale, bring the motor to me and I'll ship it for ya. I have a container and everything already.

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I like to let the buyer arrange the shipping for me so there is no confusion on cost.

7. justintime_3

justintime_3 Well-Known Member

8. sowega

sowega #710

I've seen a motor shipped in the basket portion of a Target shopping cart. It wasn't pretty, but it made us laugh.

9. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

GCally just sold me a GSXR1K motor and he had forward air crate and ship it to me. The crate job they did was outstanding. They put the motor on a tire,set the tire and engine on a platform, and then built a really slick box around it. Strapped it down and covered it with plastic and shrink wrap. It took 2 days to get from PA to NC and they called me right away and told me it was at the terminal and ready for pickup. It cost $180 according to the bill and that was a steal in my opinion.

10. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

I used this method recently and besides the part of having to order the boxes it was amazingly simple, very effective, safe, and cheap.

11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

tire on a pallet, engine on tire, plastic over it, strap it down, shrink wrap it, call R&L Carriers to come get it. Should run ya between $85-125.