1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping a engine, GSXR engine weight?

Discussion in 'General' started by Carnage R1, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Carnage R1

Carnage R1 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know a good company to use to ship a engine?
    Weight of a GSXR 600 engine 06/07?

2. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i used ups, rubbermaid container, zip tied the top on, double layered and had cardboard on the bottm, came in just around 148lbs (they will ship up to 150)

3. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

forwardair.com Last motor I did was 235lbs in the crate I used and cost $135 to ship

4. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Ouch...I used UPS and they broke every cover on the engine. No just one engine but two.

Priceless, I over insured the engines and they paid off. :)

5. Carnage R1

you didn't use any pallet or wood for the bottom of the motor?

any suggestions on where to get a crate or pallet?

How much you get back?

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Last i used was forward air. Get a pallet or a crate preferably.

7. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Get a parts bin type thing from a buddy if you know anyone that works in a shop. I used a pallet for the wood to put on top of the crate so nothing would get in there.

8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Use a pallet, put engine on a old used tire, if u have old throw away strap use it, then shrink wrap the hell out of it. Call it 140 lbs and any common carrier. We used southeastern frt lines.

9. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

nope, no wood on the bottom, thing cardboard, and then lined the bottom and sides with as much shipping styrofoam balls as possible. it got there fine. others on here have done this as well.

10. Ontheedgeprsprt

Ontheedgeprsprt Pumpkin riders

We had one get destroyed the UPS Rubbermaid way too. It works, just make sure to INSURE it well.

We also use www.freightquote.com too, try that out, they're very helpful and friendly

11. TWISTED METAL

TWISTED METAL wanna be track owner

forward air is who i used....150lbs...i think it was like 140 bucks and was quick....

12. Carnage R1

Anyone have pictures when you say Rubbermaid. Just get a rubbermaid container a huge one and dump the engine in it, w/lots of shrink wrap?

[​IMG]

13. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

UPS would tear up anything, they dont give a f@ck!

14. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

15. Carnage R1

16. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

My loss was about $2000. I can't believe UPS delivered the boxes. They were torn to shreds with oil leaking out of it. I was sick.

I now ship engines this way: build a base on a pallet, strap the engine to the pallet and then cover the engine with a plywood box.

Use a freight company like forward air.

17. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

I had Fed Ex destroy a rubbermaid container, and when they did, the thing dropped off their tracking for 2 weeks, and when it showed up, it was in a different, also torn, rubbermaid box. Unbelievably, the engine was fine. With that experience, for the other engine on the return from Daytona, I bought a black dense pvc work box with a lock hasp and a latch on it at the --Lowes? Home Depot? in DeLand outside Daytona. This is like a small pickup bed box--maybe 2 by 3 feet, much bigger than the pictures above. I also bought a sheet of 1/4 inch plywood and had them cut it to size to fit in the bottom to take the stress. This is a big box that would take about 3 engines, but it is very strong, and I filled it up with crumpled newspaper, bubble wrap, whatever, and the engine came back in perfect condition. It was expensive to ship it that way, and I know folks ship engines in relatively small and very light rubbermaid, or in cooler boxes, whatever, and those folks save a lot of money, but for my experience, I would always use a very very strong, thick, dense PVC box, like the work box with latch I got. Deal is, it is expensive to go to the races and you are always in a hurry, and a lost engine, even if you eventually get insurance for it, isn't at all worth the problems. IMHO, anyway.

18. David Grey

David Grey Well-Known Member

shipping

use should use freight Logistics , guys name is jeff hardwell. is is the best when it comes to shipping anything. he has done several engine's for me and others i know.

1-800-575-3346 ext. 202

cost will depend on how you want it shipped, rather you want it picked up from your work/home, rather you can deliver it to where its shipping from , and how quickly you need it to get there. same day or 5-7, yes i said same day. coast to coast! can and has happened for me!