1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"she's old, slow and heavy but i still love her"...or...

Discussion in 'General' started by james walker, Oct 4, 2012.

1. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

"Tuna sold me a turd bike and i polished her into a diamond" :D

'picked up a warehoused, ratty old '75 CB500 twin (for a steal) from Tuna earlier this year, the 'Turd' as i came to find out she was dubbed. i pulled her off the back of the truck the day i picked her up, modified some old intake manifolds and bolted on the race carbs from my CB350, ran an improvised 2 liter coke bottle fuel tank to 'em and some jumper cables to the truck and she kicked right over. 'ran her long enough to get the oil hot and i dumped it and started stripping her. 6 months later i finally got her back together and road worthy...100 road miles as of today...so i feel comfortable posting that she's 'alive' again. that being said she'll probably blow up on me on the way home from work today with my luck. luckily i don't have much into the rebuild except what i gave Tuna for her, some stray parts and gaskets and the cost to powder coat the frame and some other various bits. the rest was just, roughly, 8 million knuckle busted man hours with a wire wheel on the bench grinder and hours at the bead blaster booth.

anyway, thought i'd share. she's old, slow and heavy but she's my fun work commuter

before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. james walker

'bunch more rusty a$$ before and after progress pics here:

Flickr link

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Gorgeous. :up:

4. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

way cool bike!

5. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Thats a damn good job. I like the changes you made such as the fenders, paint colors, seat, pipes....subtle but big improvements.

Love that old school street rod tail light...

6. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Good work....me likey...:up:

7. james walker

thanks, fellas. and yeah, that 'Glory Brown' as it was called had to go :D i toyed with the thought of cutting her up and making a cafe job out of it but decided to keep it simple, nothing too drastic...some lower bars, stock foot pegs, got rid of those GIANT stock turn signals and hand fabbed the instrument faces. she damn sure ain't out running anything but it's a nice, upright comfortable ride. :)

8. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Wow, nice job James :up:

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Really really awesome.:up:

That's nice as hell.:):beer:

10. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

WOW... Is that the same bike Scott picked up at Roebling a while back? If so, you did fantastic work! I saw it "before"...

11. james walker

yup. that's the very same turd. he told me that's the name y'all gave it. when i first saw it in the back of his trailer i was like "...awwww damn, what have i done?" :D

12. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Bravo Jdub....well done sir.:up:

13. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I almost like "Glory Brown" better... For some reason, it churns my stomach a little more than "Turd" does. It kinda gives it some "Ghetto Doo-Doo Style". :D

14. james walker

"Brown Glory Turd" :D

15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

who did the seat?

I'm looking to start doing stuff to my scrambler and a shorter seat and shorter rear fender are on the list of things to do

16. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Looks awesome!

17. james walker

i did all the work except the powder coating, which was done by Miller Powder coating in Lilburn, GA (shameless plug).

i'd have to dig up the seller info, but the skin itself came off ebay. i stripped, blasted, painted and recovered the original foam all myself. :)

18. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

Amazing work. The gauges are a great touch. Way to breath life into that old girl.:up:

19. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Went and looked again. That sumbitch is nasTAY (meant in a good way)! :beer:

I like the old school grips.:)

20. james walker

Those are the 37 year old originals :)