1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shenandoah Circuit a.k.a. Concrete Death?

Discussion in 'General' started by justraceit, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm lost - what does the deer thing have to do with racing on the Shenandoah track?

Also - we don't have the track owners traditionally speak at our riders meetings, so I wouldn't expect MARRC to have him do so. Nor would we find it necessary to warn riders about deer at any track - they exist at the vast majority but the incidents are so rare asa to not be worth mentioning at every riders meeting no matter what happened the day before.

2. justraceit

justraceit Member

The deer story goes with the owner saying he is always trying to make Summit Point safer (from the RRW article).

The pictures of the Shenandoah circuit show otherwise - especially as the owner has said that he had moved all of the remaining CCS races of the year (July 17th race and later) to the Shenandoah circuit. Hence the "safety" conflict.

I didn't expect the owner to speak at the riders meeting. I did expect the owner to send someone to talk with the track day organizers to simply inform them of a potential problem - that's all. I don't think that is too much to ask. It costs no money to pull someone aside and say - "By the way, a kart racer was killed yesterday when he hit a deer - so tell the riders to keep an eye out."

3. justraceit

justraceit Member

Imagine the outrage if a track day rider had been killed, and the family was notified that the same thing had happened the day before, but no one was given a simple verbal warning to be aware of the potential problem.

4. mad brad

mad brad Guest

if you are that concerned, stop racing.

what's next? a request for a deer flag?

5. GSXR6Pilot

GSXR6Pilot Well-Known Member

They could glue antlers together and wave them around:D

6. justraceit

justraceit Member

All I'm saying is a simple one sentence warning at a riders meeting would show that someone, somewhere is concerned about rider safety. I remember a time when even the mad midget was raising a stink over track safety.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Damn. Airfense doesn't look like the answer.

Level the ground, gravel traps, move those walls out as far as possible and airfense may help.

Pucker factor all the way.

8. mad brad

mad brad Guest

:rolleyes:

i agree with mongo that's all.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Even the mad midget realizes there are limits and a verbal warming to the riders to watch out for suicidal bambies would have absolutely no effect on either the riders, the lines they took, the speeds they went or the bambies and the lines they took. So, with no appreciable effect, no point in saying anything.

Besides all that - it's a track paddock, everyone knew what happened anyway. No way that tidbit of gossip wouldn't be spread like wildfire.

10. Chip

Chip Registered

That track sucks.........

Why he got to be a Mad Midget?? What's up with the discrimination there Round boy???

P.S.- Ever find anything out on the little somethin-somethin we where talking about the other day???

give me a call

11. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

The old "look how big my dick is! how big is yours?" ploy to determine credibility is a really rather pathetic. How about a strong argument instead?

What the hell is "extra cautious"?!

I tend to think of the proper level of caution and due dilligence to be a binary sort of thing; either you're paying sufficent attention to the task at hand, or you're not - there's no being "extra cautious".

Deer have been reported at Summit for YEARS. Ergo, there has ALWAYS been the possibility that you may or may not run into one. If you have been waiting for an actual event before deciding to be "extra cautious", then you have failed to be sufficiently cautious everytime you went onto the track after those 100+ riders' meetings.

12. mad brad

mad brad Guest

hence this remark.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

IIRC, didn't a rider hit a deer about 6 or 7 years ago at the GNF? No problems for the rider fortunately, but I believe the Hall County LEO has to shoot Bambi.

As for the circuit in question, the walls would be of much greater concern to me than Bambi with an attitude.

14. JoeTassone

JoeTassone The Dude abides...

I thought Opie (?) hit one in '02. It was earlier in the week. Didn't one jump over someone at Summit last season?

15. VTracer

VTracer Well-Known Member

On video tape none the less! Although it was destroyed,:mad:

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If a deer was seen crossing the track the day before, I'd rather know than not. Too much information never hurt or killed anyone. It beats not enough info any day, IMHO. But I'll concece I'm biased.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Total deer stories as far as I know that have occurred at WERA events - late 80's, CIA hits a deer during an Endurance race at Pocono, cleans fur etc... from the FZR400 and continues racing once the deer carcass has been cleared from the track. Rider on a 125 hits one a couple years ago at Road Atlanta, injures deer which is put down, rider stays upright. I know there is one other in between the two but that's 3 total that I know of. Harry Morse hit a bear, but that was in an RV on the way to a race. Opie's deer was during a school he was instructing, he went down but no major injury, deer didn't make it. We've had a few incidents of deer close to the track, same for dogs (local strays), geese, and the occasional cow.

18. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

Yes, yes, but what about a moose??? Where are the statisitics on Moose related incidents???? :( What else are you keeping from us???

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The only Moose related incidents luckily take place in the paddock and are not necessary to relate in a discussion about on track items... (which is good cuz off track Moose stuff can get downright scary).

20. justraceit

justraceit Member

Thank you. You're the one guy I think about every time I drive through the front gate. And yours is the only opinion I care about.