1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharkskinz Gen1 SV upper fit?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by oconnor, Dec 6, 2012.

1. oconnor

oconnor Bad juju

Picked up a used Sharkskinz upper. Fit seems a little funky like the left side is farther back or "longer" than the right side by about an inch. I was going to run just the upper but at the points near your knees, the left is an inch rearward from the right. Is the upper asymmetric? The left also looks lower than the right. I guess I expected each half to be a mirror image...

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Call Sharkskinz and ask them. Their mounting points are generally spot on all the time.

3. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

Are you sure its SS ? Been repaired ? They normally fit perfect ....

4. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Do you have the lower? The uppers can warp a bit, the mounting points will hold it correctly. They are symmetrical. Install the windscreen before mounting to get better position.

5. HerbigCBR

HerbigCBR Dudeman

I have a sharkskinz upper and I have never noticed any asymmetry. Seems to be the same on both sides...

6. oconnor

oconnor Bad juju

The previous owner told me it was SS and it looks exactly like the picture on their site. It has been repaired a few times and I was aware of that going in but assumed it was dimensionally correct otherwise what's the point, right?

7. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

does it have the sharkskinz decal on the inside?

8. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

also, is it the GSXR style or the TLR style upper? I have the tlr style, fits perfect, but you make your own mounts.

9. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Repair warps bodywork as do crashes. Get your mounting points right and it will be fine.

10. oconnor

oconnor Bad juju

It's not the gsxr style upper.
    I looked it over again today, it's definitely hosed. It wasn't just patched, it looks like one side or the other actually broke off and was re-attached. I can put the nose on the floor and bring the rear corners together and there is over an inch difference in length. The cutouts for the clip-ons are not the same height.
    I had been advised not to buy used bodywork. I didn't listen thinking a list member would treat me square. I wouldn't feel right about reselling it so I'll just cut it up and toss it in the trash or maybe make a quarter-fairing from it.
    Lesson learned.

11. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Bummer.

12. oconnor

oconnor Bad juju

It's only money right?
    I was able to patch up the SS seat and with a little work it will be good as new so not a total loss.