1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service Merchandise

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Hawk518, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Some of you may or may not be aware that a "Mom Sues Walmart To End Policy of Locking Up, 'Segregating' Beauty Products."

The above case requires that we abandon all reasoning and logic. However, given the current climate which dismisses facts for feeling, I would not be entirely surprised if Wal-mart was burden with a settlement in favor of the "Mom," or be force to terminate its loss prevention practice.

From a solution perspective, my immediate thought was catalog purchasing, or Service Merchandise.

I wonder is there is market or a place for Service Merchandise today?
    It is not entirely removed from the Amazon theme. Exception, that you drive and pick up in person instead of delivery.

Hell, I would say that maybe it is up to Amazon to expand their model. To provide the Service Merchandise experience, one again. It is not like Amazon is free from theft of packages?

Yeah, my fix may not be or it would definitely burdened the majority. But, if it only stops the whining and unreasonable lawsuits because we lack the courage to arrive at root cause.

Fencer likes this.
  2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

There are already store fronts being opened that just exist as showrooms for their online stores. AFAIK you can't even pick up stuff at them, but you can place orders.

And damn is Service Merchendise a blast from the past. I remember when the one in Bangor closed, used to wander that place LOTS as a kid.

WERA 904 likes this.
  3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

My understanding on Walmart is they lock up the stuff that gets stolen the most.

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Yeah,... but that's racist.

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Only if you are assuming the race of the thief.

6. condon66

condon66 Member well known

No, that's product racism. All products lives matter.

dtalbott likes this.
  7. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Never work. People have gotten far to lazy to actually get in their car and....GASP....drive somewhere to get something!!!

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I think the more likely scenario is the stores with no checkouts. You go in, pick up what you want, it automatically gets added to your Amazon account, then is paid through the app. I believe they have some test stores already. I’ve seen ads at Sams about it too but haven’t downloaded the app yet to try it out.

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Not really. It's more a gender bias being shown. After all, it's usually women that steal makeup products isn't it? :D

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I bet Cortez doesn't buy that hot pink lipstick...

11. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Walgreens in Cleveland locks up body wash and deodorant as apparently they are high theft items there . I asked the store manager about it and he said it was being stolen by the bagful and taken down to the corner bodega and resold so they had to lock it up.

12. WERA 904

WERA 904 Well-Known Member

I bought my first BB gun and Casio calculator watch from the service merchandise in Bangor! It was always a treat to go there.

13. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Imagine going from nothing to starring at the Service Merchandise Catalog. I remember picking my first Xmas gifts ever from them.
    Always like the shopping experience.

Back on the subject matter, I don't know why people whom seem to be offended so easily don't seem be as courageous addressing the offenders that make difficult for them. And, always seem to go after the cash payout. Making each case/claim all but questionable.

14. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I saw something like this a couple days ago at Total Wine. I was in the Cognac section and noticed that Hennessy and Courvoisier were locked up in a case. The rest of the bottles in that case were hundreds to thousands dollars each, and next to it was an $8.99 375ml bottle of Hennessy. I was just surprised they would be that blatant about it, seems like possibly bad PR.

15. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing

16. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

That would mean being around the mouth breathers. I even tried grocery delivery a few weeks ago because I want nothing to do with the unwashed masses.

17. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Baby mama this weekend: "We (the royal) need to figure out packaging. Why do we end up breaking down boxes for an hour every week?"
    My mouth opening without permission from my brain: "Because you opened your laptop instead of the car door."

badmoon692008 likes this.
  18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So how did that work for you?

19. Chango

Chango Something clever!

He'll respond once the swelling over both eyes has gone down.

G2G likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Majority of the box stores of all types are already doing online ordering with at store pick up. Grocery stores are starting to pick up on it too. So basically it's already happening :D

badmoon692008 and Hawk518 like this.