1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sending out forks for ohlins nix cartridges

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mattology, Aug 19, 2018.

1. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

I am located in st petersburg fl

who is a good shop to send my 2015 gsxr-600 forks out to to have ohlins nix30 cartridges installed?

i literally have zero experience with this.

2. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

Thermosman

Kyle Brosius and sheepofblue like this.
  3. 418

418 Expert #59

sheepofblue and ToofPic like this.
  4. mattology

ok, thank you!

5. mattology

i have a shotgun case for my benelli.. i don't think these forks will fit at all in there. is there a specific brand case that works ?

6. 418

418 Expert #59

I just went to walmart. $9.99 basic case.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  7. mattology

i'll give it a "shot"!

Phl218 likes this.
  8. duc995

duc995 Yep…

I tried using a gun case for my forks and the “ears” that support and mount the front fender were bent. This was on a 100 mile ship via UPS. I would not rely on the foam inside a gun case to be adequate for two objects that can bump into each other inside the case. Maybe it works for a rifle because it is all alone in there? Don’t know, but not a good experience.

9. 418

418 Expert #59

Did you secure the forks in the box?

10. duc995

duc995 Yep…

They were wrapped and then encased in the foam that comes in the gun case. How there is only so much room in there...

If the gun case foam won’t keep them separated, I consider that mode of transportation a fail.

11. condon66

condon66 Member well known

A gun case works fine. It's a shell. But, the forks have to be protected and secured inside the shell. If you just lay them in there, that's not enough.

Boman Forklift, TurboBlew and 418 like this.
  12. duc995

duc995 Yep…

So you’re saying you don’t use the foam that comes inside the gun case? Because with both the foam and the forks in there there’s really no room for extra “protection.”

13. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Blocks of a dense foam or something between and around the forks to keep them separated. Leave the other foam there too, yes. Figure something out to keep them in place and separated.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I either bubble wrapped mine or zip tied it to the case, to keep them from slightly sliding together and scratching each other.

418 likes this.
  15. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

^^^this^^^