1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling a Bike Given by a Sponsor ( Yes or No?)

Discussion in 'General' started by FastByKids, Jun 17, 2022.

?

Keep It / Sell It?

1. Keep It, Race It, Wrench It, Suck it Up Buttercup (Don't be a Douche)

2. Sell it, get a CRF-250 for Flat Tracking

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Back in Phoenix I had a excellent sponsor who helped out paying for leathers, machining parts, and lent bikes for my kids to race.

Before we left for Indiana I went to return one of the bikes and he told me to keep it.

It's a 1998 CR-125 two smoke that was basically sitting out in the weather before we turned it into a flat track racer.

We went through the fluids, filters, plug etc to get it back in shape. Another sponsor offset costs on a wheel and tire package for flat tracking.

Thus far the chassis has been a mechanical / maintenance nightmare. While in Indiana we replaced the crank (Kit was +$500 if memory serves) that went bad. Then we sent the cylinder out to get repaired (damaged when crank went bad) and get a piston matched which has turned into +$700 dollar affair (initial $400 quote).

Kids have a total of eight race bikes between them and this CR is just to much work. From what I read although mechanically simple will require frequent top end maintenance.

I really tried to like the CR and this is our first 2-smoke. But in all honesty I'm over the bike.

How much of a douche would I be if I sold it?

Or should I just suck it up, do the wrench time and be happy I was gifted a bike?

Conflicted...

Momma not happy with the spend and is in my ear... :(

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So what's the issue?

stk0308, dtalbott and tophyr like this.
  3. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

When they told you to keep it… it’s now your bike to do with as you please.

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

A good option is to find another racer in need and donate the bike to their cause. This is your opportunity to give back to the community.

5. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Sure wish I had a cr125………..:D

6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

You could always let the guy know that you’re thinking about selling it ahead of time. Sounds like he’d give you his blessing

dave3593, Chand, Blammo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

This. :up:

R Acree, StaccatoFan and Blammo like this.
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

What’s its trap speed?

Nathey and auminer like this.
  9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

It's free AND you have dough in it.
    Scorch the earth with that fucker.

FastByKids, Phl218 and TLR67 like this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what kind of trap speed is said bike capable?

The karma train says pass the goodwill on.

Nathey and Scott S. like this.
  11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If you sell it, the money will go back into the kids racing program. I see no harm or conflict in that. Keep moving the kids forward to the best of your ability.

Phl218, Scott S., FastByKids and 2 others like this.
  12. ow01

ow01 Well-Known Member

Sell it and give half to the sponsor.

13. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

It now has a new crank, wheels and top end. If you want a 250 instead, just say that.

14. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Is it 1mm overbore?

15. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

I'm not sure. Perhaps you can make sense of these numbers? If memory serves I'd say .5, but can't remember. First is quote, second is ending bill.
    Do you want to purchase/trade? Now my princess is texting me she wants a 150r instead of a 250. :crackup:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Giving me flashbacks to my 1983 CR125. That thing seized many times.

17. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Oh, and I’d go get a new e-start, fuel injected 2-stroke KTM. A 2-stroke, and no jetting!

TurboBlew likes this.
  18. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

A lot of that look slike additional welding/repairing. It must have jacked up the combustion chamber. Still, I bet you can't get a new cylinder if you wanted one and it should be good as new now. Run it a little on the rich side and itll last just fine. Its probbaly had the shit kicked out of it since new.

FastByKids likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

and easy to tune with no gas on your hands

20. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

if you think you are going to buy another 2t and beat the crap out of it racing flat track, tt etc... and not have maintenance bills like the one above regularly, this might not be for momma's budget. if you think you are going to buy a 4t and do the same thing... get out your wallet to the tune of close to triple the bill you just posted, when something bad happens to that 4t. kids, and fast racers, that really ring out 125cc 2t t motors, really need a piston every 10-20 hours. it is just the nature of the beast, to stay at the pointy end of the spear. again, a 4t 250 will be that much more maintenance. best thing I can tell you is, dont tell momma when you need to rebuild. ;) good luck! Ski

FastByKids likes this.