1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seller won't send me the certificate of origin

Discussion in 'General' started by RoadracerR123, Jan 4, 2010.

1. D-Swens

D-Swens sniffin paint fumes

Absolutely...all bets are off after that, no "friend" would ever pull some bullshit like that.
    I'd fully disclose to him what I was doing, but I'd contact the team who owned the bike and nicely explain your side of the story and see if they can help you out. Sounds like the situation is already headed south though, I might contact a lawyer and at least have him on standby to start sending something to the guy you bought the bike from. I've been through this type of thing a few times, and once you actually realize you need legal help, the process takes such a LONG time that you'll be happy you were at least prepared early on.

I can understand wanting the MSO or COO with a bike I bought. Even if nothing else, it allows you to fully insure the bike (I know its a race bike, but against theft, fire, natural disasters ect).

2. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

I bought a dirt bike without an MSO. The previous owner wrote me a letter of sale and promised me to get me the MSO/title or whatever you want to call it. He told me that he forgot it when we met to make the exchange, turns out he lost it. I knew the previous/original owner who had given him the MSO with the bike.
    Only thing I'm worried about is how to go about getting an OHV sticker on the thing if I ever move to a state that requires it?

So, I feel your pain! Minus the other BS and threatening stuff this turd bucket did to you!

3. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

1 dont give him a damn thing, ever. Even after you get the COO. You paid for the bike its yours not a parts mule for the previous owner.
    2 contact his team owner and explain what you require
    3 follow that up with a letter from a lawyer Seems that without proof of ownership, his employee sold stolen property...:D

and oh yea, for the sake of the beeb out the bastige.:p

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

In VA you can title an off-highway vehicle as long as you have a bill of sale from the previous owner. All you have to tell them is you bought it from a state that doesn't title off-highway vehicles. I know GA doesn't require titles, since the dirt bike I bought last year came from there and I was able to get a title here. The same type of law may exist where you live (or claim residence).

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If he threatened you, no need to be nice anymore. Go all out.

6. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I don't understand why he would threaten you. Did you pay him?

7. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Racer selling to/screwing John Q Public - we've all heard of it and it sucks. John Q Public selling to/screwing racer - again, we've all heard of it and it sucks. But, racer trying to screw another racer? And a 'well known' racer and friend? Not only that, this 'friend' then threatened you?
    Who owned the bike? The racer or the team?
    Something sounds fishy here

8. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

Although I agree with everything said on how to deal with it, we all know there are two sides to every story so I'll refrain from jumping to conclusions. That being said, you should tell us who it is so everyone that knows him (and maybe himself too) can defend him and the rest of us can enjoy the resulting bbs drama.:D

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

three sides to every story.

10. Matt399

I stand corrected... you're definitely right about that

11. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

That's what i first thought of. Factory backed bikes are not (normally) sold by the rider. What is also odd is that the rider is asking for parts back for the factory backed bikes team owner. ??? Where is siad team owner who is so interested in this part?
    Very odd.

The whole thing sounds like a dick move on the part of the seller.
    I hate when people pretend to be in the middle when in fact they're not.
    This seller sounds like he is getting pressure to get some old parts back that he should not have sold & also likely feigning the unavailability of the MSO.

Tell him if he doesn't give you the MSO, he can have the KIT ECU back attached to the rest of the bike & that you want your money back.

Oh yeah. Out him.

12. BRKNtibia

BRKNtibia AMAfan Wannabe

Threat to report as stolen = out him

13. RoadracerR123

RoadracerR123 Well-Known Member

I paid him full price cash. Because he was my friend and we shook on it so I f**Ked myself by assuming he was a good guy. I figured since we live an hours drive from each other, a BOS would be redundant so we never got one... I have also heard many stories of them really not transferring ownership to effectively.

I think he threatened me when I wouldn't give him the kix box for nothing.

He kept saying he was a man of his word but since it took him that long to get me an effin piece of paper I said no way with nothing in writing or as collateral.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, that certainly is embarrassing for him.

15. Matt399

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Put a fork in that friendship. Ouch!!!!

17. Matt399

Based on the rider and the team you mentioned I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance he sold you a bike he doesn't own.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Or forgot to return a part or two that weren't supposed to go with the bike.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Easy enough to figure it all out - call the team and talk to the owner. Tell him I said hi :)

20. RoadracerR123

RoadracerR123 Well-Known Member

I just called him, he said that the bike was in the rider's hands to sell but the kit box did belong to them and they needed it back but that burden will be placed on the seller and not me.