1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sell Street Bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by BobbyGrand, Oct 10, 2013.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Agree. Don't show up at the track with something you aren't prepared to leave in the dumpster.

2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So you're advocating that a new track rider should go out and invest $3k+ into a track prepped bike that he's not worried about crashing before he even knows whether he likes riding on the track or not?

3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Pretty much, yes. To say it differently, I'm saying that anyone showing up at the track must realize that there is a possibility, whether a result of their own doing or someone else's, that the bike they bring to the track could end up totalled. It's safer than the street, but, crashes do happen and bikes do get completely wadded.

4. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Well he is talking about selling his street bike to go try out track riding when he hasn't done a day yet.

What's worse though. Going out on the track on his 2008 GSXR 1000 and he totals it and is out the $6-7k value of that bike. OR he buys a $3000 bike this offseason (which he should be able to do. I bought a full race prepped 2005 GSXR 750 for $3500 a few years back) and he totals that bike and is out what he put into it.

If he doesn't like the track, he can sell his track bike for likely what he put into it as well. Especially if he buys in the off season and then sells in the prime season.

IF and ONLY IF he is willing to accept that he might total his street bike by doing a trackday (even in a beginner group, and it might not even be your fault!), then I'd say by all means do that to make sure you like it before putting more money into the hobby.

Something for him to keep in mind as well if he's considering the path of tracking his street bike is incidents on the track won't be covered by insurance.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Or he signs up for a trackday, preps his 1k by removing all of the easily broken things like signals, mirrors, lights, etc, then takes it easy in the beginner class to get a feel for the track. If he likes it, he starts seriously considering his options for buying an additional bike for the track, setting up the streetbike for double duty, or selling the streetbike to fund the new addiction.

AND, many times your insurance WILL play for a track incident as long as you're not racing. If it's a "school" type function, like most novice trackdays are, then you can get it covered. I've seen it done on several occasions (they probably won't do it twice though :D).

6. EngineNoO9

He still needs to be ok with crashing or totalling the bike in the beginner day. Even if he goes easy he could get taken out by someone else. Seen it happen. Saw the tears and anger from the rider. It sucks but it happens.

Ok, let me refrain the insurance comment. You MIGHT be covered on the track but you would need to check prior and you still might run into obstacles if you end up needing to make a claim. And you're right, if they let you do it once, they almost gauranteed won't let you do it again.

FWIW I tracked my street bike to start out with. Crashed it my 2nd day out. After that it basically became an expensive (and heavy pig since it was an RC51) track only bike. Two years later I totalled that and went to a salvage title track prepped bike that was probably a third of the cost of my original investment into my street bike that I had used. Kicked myself for not buying a track only bike sooner. Would've loved to keep that bike forever but wasn't worth it since it was never the same after I smashed it up, and the street bodywork was rashed and cracked.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  7. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Engine No09. I have over 10,000 miles around VIR and have been put on the ground twice by other riders. I would never take a bike to the track that I could not see in the Dumpster and that is why I ride a GSXR at the track and not the MV.

8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Don't race what you can afford, race what you can afford to destroy.

9. BobbyGrand

BobbyGrand Well-Known Member

The renting of the fully prepped track bike seems like a cool idea to see if I will even like the track.

100% I would be devastated if I wadded my K8 - even with track plastics and all the bits that could be replaced once converted back to street.

I would like to think that I will like the track, but you never know - I could handle a pissed wife and not liking the track with a total buy in of $3-$3.5k where I can at least break even selling the track bike instead of a totaled bike that I own outright and could get 6-7k for.....

I guess I really have to start looking this off season for a SV or cheaper 600 that is ready to go - do a track school like penguin or keith code etc...I can save enough on the side where that is possible.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do you have a pulse? If yes, consider your question answered.

11. EngineNoO9

If you start off doing Keith Code you can get away with not having to buy anything. Rent a bike and leathers through them. It's a good school and they use the s1000rr as their rental bikes. Had some guys from work do this and they loved it. All of them came back looking for track bikes to buy and where to get leathers.

12. EngineNoO9

Have to agree with this too. If you like riding on the street, you'll LOVE riding on the track. Mostly because you can finally do everything you always wanted to do on the street out on the track. Unless of course what you want to do on the street is ride wheelies, chase black range rovers, and look cool out in front of the local Starbucks.

13. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

He's newly wed; he might not have one.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was half joking but in my experience, people who don't like the track are typically people who thought they were great riders and got humbled in a way they couldn't handle. Everyone else goes home with a giant smile on their face.

15. EngineNoO9

But she has two pulses and a pair of balls :D :crackup:

16. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Put Bazzaz TC on, set up the suspension, get some cheap track bodywork and use it double duty...

17. BobbyGrand

BobbyGrand Well-Known Member

100% not a stunter, starbucks poser, or squid on the street lol I look forward to bettering my riding skills by doing track days.

Keith Code 2 day schools are like 2400 with bike....might as well buy a track bike and do a novice track day for that price.

The adrenaline track rentals in association with Tony's Track Days look like thats my ticket - $450 all in for gear rental and prepped track bike rental for the day. SOLD! :Pop:

From their I can gauge how much I really like it and take the next step.

18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

with a screen name like Bobby Grand... you are gona laugh how close to the truth it is when you start riding weekends. :D Maybe shoulda started with Bobby Treefiddy :beer:

19. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

That would be the riders on the 1000cc inline fours getting left for dead by the instructors on SV650's.

20. Falcondrvr

Falcondrvr Well-Known Member

Can't recommend Penguin enough. Especially the 2 day events. Rent their bike and whatever else you need. I think the bike is under $500 for a two day rental. You might get a better understanding of what you really want to do and what you need to do it.