1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second brown recluse bite in two years

Discussion in 'General' started by mattology, Jul 13, 2015.

1. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

I am so over florida. These stupid spiders aren't even supposed to live here. Fucker popped me while I was cleaning out a race car that had sat for a couple years.

I have a weightlifting comp on Saturday and now I'm not even sure I'll be able to compete.

Do you have dangerous insects where you live?

2. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

They are everywhere.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Here in Florida we have EVERYTHING that can poison you.

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

WTF that sucks. When was it? What does it look like at this point.

5. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Yep in Va we got BR and black widows, copperheads and an occasional rattler.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Only the ones holding elected office. :D

Besides the stifling heat (as I roast like a pig at a luau :p ) it's yer damn death-inducing creepy-crawlies that keep me north of the frost line.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The further south you go the worse shit gets it seems when it comes to vermin. I don't think I've run across a B.R. spider up here.

8. mattology

My arm is about 50-75% larger around the forearm and elbow. It is very swollen and infected, no tissue necrosis yet

9. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Have you been to doctor? :confused:

10. caboose

caboose I love peanut butter!

I live in Southwestern Ontario... the most dangerous thing we have around here is coyotes.

11. mattology

Yes I have multiple antibiotics on prescription. Just annoying.

12. Supposedly we have BR in western PA, but I haven't seen one in person. We have copperheads and rattlers too, but I haven't seen them in the wild either.

13. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

I've had brown recluses in every house I have lived in the past 20 years (4). Seeing them is pretty common. I've been bitten by one small on on the end of a toe. It turned red with a white dot were the bite was, and swelled up a little, but otherwise no ill effects. I don't think it got very deep.

I found a black widow in one of my mowing shoes...luckily before I stuck my foot in there. I put it in a jar and told my wife I was gonna name her Wanda. When I came home the next day there was a 100' diameter black char spot in the back yard, a couple of empty gas cans and about 18 empty Raid cans. The charred remnants of Wanda's jar was in the middle of it. RIP, Wanda...RIP.

14. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

No...but Democrats moving here are just as bad and unfortunately its a felony to exterminate them.

15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ive found 2 Recluse since living here in a rural part of Southern MD. I see Black Widow all the time in the garage where I keep the racebikes,but never in my barn,oddly enough.Ive seen 2 copperhead in the woods,but never rattlers

16. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Won't that swollen larger arm help during your competition?

(sorry man….just trying to add a little humor):D

17. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I literally can't go in my shop without spotting at least 5 of them. They are fucking horrible here. Black widows on occasion but not very common. Only seen one copperhead and one rattler and oddly enough, the rattler was dead on my front porch. Weird. I believe we have cotton mouths as well but not 100% on that. Haven't seen one. Lots of coyotes.

I've been bitten twice in my life. It's odd how everyone reacts so differently. Iirc, it is due in large part to how allergic you are to the venom. Luckily mine had minor swelling and pain both times. Basically turned into a big hard zit. Second time I didn't even go to the doctor and it healed on its own, though it actually took a few months. Never been bit by a widow, thankfully. Not sure how Id react to them.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

We've got spiders all over our house but most are harmless. They still piss me off though, and I'm afraid a dog will get bitten, so this year I put glue traps out in every nook and cranny around my house (same ones you'd use for mice). I've checked a few of them and cannot believe how many spiders we've caught. There's got to be 10+ per trap.

FYI, you can't really kill spiders by spraying. You can kill their food, but it's unlikely that you'll get enough of the other bugs to run the spiders off. Most bug sprays work by leaving a residue that bugs pick up as they drag their bodies over it. Since spiders only touch surfaces with the very tips of their legs, they don't pick up enough poison to be fatal.

19. desmo2

desmo2 Well-Known Member

Depends on how you are spraying. I've found bug killers to be very effective on spiders when sprayed over a Bic.

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

This seems to work ok...

[​IMG]