1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seat Foam and Glue

Discussion in 'General' started by thebull, Jan 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. thebull

thebull Active Member

Hey guys. Anyone have any advice for where to get, and what kind of foam to get for race fairings to make a seat? Also, what kind of glue to use to bond to bodywork? Thanks all

2. 418

418 Expert #59

There is about 20 threads on this.

Spray adhesive. Google kayak foam, minicell foam.

TLR67 and RM Racing like this.
  3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Or call Dianna's Shop in Asheville.

No connection, but she did a bang-up job on a Honda seat for me. :clap:

4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

1. I've tried mini cell, closed cell, all that stuff several times on projects for customs. None of it came out like a factory seat until I just went to an auto upholstery shop and asked if I could buy some. Dude gave me some green and some white ( one is much firmer, that's the base layer. Can't remember which one offhand.). He didn't even charge me for the stuff with the understanding that I would bring it back to him to do the cover.

It works soooooo much better than the other stuff I've tried. You can sand it, shape it, it doesn't squish down 2 inches, etc.

Edit - I don't know why there's a #1 at the start of this post that I can't remove, but whatever.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds like you're building a stock seat and not putting foam on race bodywork - two totally different things.

418 likes this.
  6. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

I stopped using glue years ago now I use Velcro strips seat doesn't come off and it won't ruin your seat if you wanna repaint !

NemesisR6 likes this.
  7. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

I use harbor freight foam floor mat and 2 sided tape but I'm cheap. Use a heat gun on the foam to get the smoothness you want.

tawzx12r likes this.
  8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I actually went a step further and molded a seat "pan" out of thermo-plastic sheet and then attached the seat foam to it using a sheet of 3M double sided adhesive. Then I pop-riveted the pan to the race tail.

If I ever need to repaint I just drill out a few rivets and off it comes.......no residue to clean up.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member