1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sean - practice at events

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Lizard 1, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Sean-

What can be done for the Endurance teams that practice on Sat mornings? Basically, I have talked with you before on this, yet the officials say "no dice". The problem is that we sign up for MWSB and some us do the 600 sprints on Sunday. The officials say that we are signed up for 600 races and therefore can only get one practice group - either 600 or 750+. Not both. Here's the problem - we have two bikes and three to four guys. This means that if we are lucky, we will get two practices that are about 10 min. in length. That means that a rider or possibly two riders get hosed on practice.

I think that if a team is signed up for Endurance and on the pink receipt it shows more than two riders, we should be able to get out in both practice groups. Now, if we had two riders and two bikes - no problem. But, it just isn't fair and it's not like we are getting more practice than anyone else.

2. backdraftmoto

backdraftmoto I make Nissan trucks...

I'd like to chip in on this question. We are going to have the same problem also.

3. EXPERT35

EXPERT35 Well-Known Member

Ditto!!

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Ok, since I the new guy, I'll get in on this
    too!
    Ditto,on the subject, although I run 3 sprints on Sunday, and I have been allowed
    to go out for 600 and 750,my teammates will
    not be running any sprints until round 2.
    So I guess we will draw straws.

5. WERA

WERA Administrator

Ummm, part of the deal is that we already give the Endurance teams an extra half hour of Endurance only practice which didn't exist two years ago...

I'll work on the other part though.

6. Lizard 1

I truly thank WERA for initiating the 30 min. practice, but since sprinters that run on Sunday get at least two practice rounds before their races, the 30 min. practice for multiple riders in endurance seems only fair. However, if only two of our guys get the morning practice and the other two do not, that's where the problem is. These guys all chip in big bucks to do this type of racing and it only seems right to let them get their practice. Also, if they do sprint on Sunday, they are only getting one session of regular practice like everyone else. I am very glad to hear you will work on this. It's pretty much a no-brainer.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, it's not exactly a no brainer, per lap raced, Endurance racers pay much, much less than sprint racers. While I personally love the Endurance Series it is not a profitable item for WERA and we could actually make more money and run better races by cancelling the entire thing and running heat races or qualifying on Saturday. While those sprint racers may get more practice track time they also happen to be the guys who pay the bills so you can Endurance race...

Now that being said - I will look into getting more practice for teams with a lot of riders and fewer bikes but I'm not going to make any promises.

8. melissa

melissa Sir

If it's a question of money (well, when isn't it?), what about a nominal fee for endurance teams to run both 600 and 750 practice?

9. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

If you guys will forgive an endurance newbie question, how is practice priced/structured on National weekends? We'll have 3 riders and hopefully 2 bikes at the TWS round and I'd like to maximize everyone's practice time. Can we purchase a practice session for the extra bike?

Thanks,
    Rich

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oddly enough it's not really about money but more of a question about what's fair when comparing Endurance teams and sprint racers, everyone like more practice but they really start asking questions when they feel the other guys are getting more...

This is really a problem with trying to be equal to all the racers and one group not getting more or less than another group.

11. aip

aip Well-Known Member

MONGO

What exactly is the rule on practice. I have been at rounds where the director will let just about anybody go out anytime(Expert and Novice separated of course). I would think that you have the practices laid out pretty simply.

0-500
    600 ex / nv
    750 and Up ex / nv
    Endurance only

Seems pretty cut and dried.

I think before you go changing things around too much you should have a standard operating procedure drawn up for EXACTLY how practice is run and who qualifies for what.

Personally I don't think anyone who is not signed up to sprint race should be allowed to practice at all with the sprinters.

Here is my thought:

The rider should have a sticker on their helmet qualifying them for their particular practice session. 1 sprint class = 1 sprint practice. If they are signed up for 600 and 750 they should get 2 practices.

As far as saturday is concerned if there are no sprint races then why do the sprinters need 2 15 minute sessions. How about a half hour endurance only in the AM. then 1 round of sprint practice and then another half hour endurance only.

Old way:
    Sprint
    Round 1 5 sessions at 15 minutes per = 75min
    Round 2 5 Sessions at 15 minutes per = 75min
    Endurance only 30 minutes

3 hours total

My way

Endurance Only 30 minutes
    1 Round 5 sessions at 20 minutes = 100min
    Endurance Only 30 minutes

2hrs 40 min total

12. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Sean, I'm biting my tongue here.....

13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

It was noted before that the endurance is a non-moneymaker. However, it is profitable for the riders and is a favorable entity within the circuit. Personally, I only work pits, but I think that the practice sessions are fine. Endurance races are about moderation, until the last few laps. 30 minutes of practice is more than many get. As well, you forget about the few guys that also sin up for the solo 20's. That is practice right there. Granted they have to pay, but that is still practice. Actually, that would total 3 extra sessions.

I am not negatin your proposal, but the solo 20's are too popular. I enjoy the saturday as a way to gt the bugs out for the points round. Plus they are a good moneymaker for tires, fuel, as well as concessions.

14. aip

aip Well-Known Member

When was the last time there was a solo 20 on an endurance weekend?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No Solos with the Endurance.

AIP - Couple of things - first, racers will not put a lot of stickers on their helmets. Second, the procedure basics are this: riders get a practice session per machine (effectively), if a rider has a 600, 750 and 1000 then we usually put the 600 in with the LW group, the 750 in MW and the 1000 in HW. That is if we aren't already having an overcrownding problem. Yes, this does get the rider more track time than a one bike rider but it is important for them to get time on each bike and make sure the bikes are running correctly thereby avoiding any problems during racing. We do also on National weekends allow a rider running only a 600 in the bigger classes to practice with those bigger bikes and with the smaller bikes in an effort to make it all a bit more fair (on Fridays the more bikes you have the more money it costs, if a rider with one bike wants more time they have to pay for it but they also have to be entered in the big bike classes before being allowed to practice with the big bikes - we try not to let someone just buy more track time without having a semi-valid reason for it). We have also noticed that more practice does cut down on a multitude of problems so we try to give everyone as much time as possible which is why we do try to work with the Endurance teams and get as much practice for them as we can however it is not as much an issue as it is for sprint racers due to the nature of an Endurance race.

Now, why do we give the sprint guys more time? Simple - they pay the bills they deserve the time. It also breaks up sessions for the Endurance teams on Saturday morning giving them time to make changes and go back out rather than losing part of their 30 minute session making those changes. Either way getting everyone a decent and fair amount of track time is the goal and we will do our best to accomplish that.

16. aip

aip Well-Known Member

Mongo

As is usually the case WERA officials do what they can do to make things as economical and fair for all those involved. The point of my post was to show everyone that you guys have a process in place to make things work as well as possible for everyone involved. The only complaint I hear from riders in the pits is inconsistency. It is important that they know how it is going to work before they show up.

No one has a right to bitch if they know. THEY need to plan ahead.

17. hazbin1

hazbin1 Well-Known Member

do what aod &sbr did, steal tech stickers at round one then you can pick practice when you feel like going on track!!!!

18. 13x

13x 13x.com

In the past I've signed up for a 750 race on Sunday (even if I'm not staying) or just paid for an extra practice (I forget which is cheaper). It costs $$ but you get more practice than you can shake a stick at.

You can also fire one of your teammates so you and the remaining teammate each have a bike of your own. Problem solved!

[​IMG]

Jim
    the fat one, er, fast one.

PS - Make sure to bring that pink sheet to tech with the extra practice / 750 class on it!! Tony is a stickler these days.

PSS - and I really hate those helmet stickers. but that's another rant.

19. Lizard 1

I didn't know we could pay for the extra practice on Sat. If that's the case, how much is it? I'm not trying to cause a problem here, I just wanted to see if I could get all the guys the same amount of practice. I realize that the sprinters bring more money, but as seen by the number of people who say they are going to race endurance this year, the class is by no means unpopular. In all seriousness, WERA should use the endurance clock to time practices at National events like the AMA does. Basically, if it is slotted to have a twenty minute practice, start the clock at 20:00 and count down. If a red flag is flown, the clock runs and until it hits 0:00, practice for that group is still on. There has been way too many times that we have been like the second in line for practice and have only got like 6 laps in when it was to be a 20 min. practice. I know we are slow, but not that slow. If there was a clock and the timer started when the whistle blew, we would get our full alotted time. That's mostly the complaint. If I knew we were going to get a full 20 min., I could organize riders to change at the half-way point. I know there are variables like red flags, but most of the time we get shorted time on the track. It just would be easier to use the endurance clock to time practices and give everyone a full amount of time. Heck, it's no extra expense - the clock has to be there for the endurance race anyways.

20. hazbin1

hazbin1 Well-Known Member

screw practice ,go back to the pool at the hotel