1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sean - Major helmet question from the Lizard Boys

Discussion in 'General' started by Lizard 1, Jul 20, 2000.

1. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

We just got access to the new Suomy (pronounced sue-o-mee) race helmets. The helmets are not Snell approved. However, they are BSI approved (British Motorcycle Sport). These helmets are FIM accepted which means they are able to be used in GP 125-500 racing, World Superbike racing and any AMA roadracing events. The helmets are used in the US by Scott Russell, Dale Corser, Steve Rapp and Troy Bayliss. These are obviously very safe and competent racing helmets that meet the highest standards of the FIM. Question is can they be accepted by WERA since they are accepted by the AMA?

Basically, the BSI rating is actually a bit more extensive than the Snell rating. The major reason for not being able to get Snell rating is the weight. Snell has a weight limit and these are a couple of ounces lighter. I will have a couple at Summit for you to look at if neccessary. Let us know.

Thanks-

The Lizards

2. WERA

WERA Administrator

Glad to hear about an Endurance Team getting stuff!

We allow any helmets that have passed the British or European standards and one of these days I'll remember to add that to the rulebook...

3. 217

217 Well-Known Member

Who is selling the SUOMY line here?

4. wera122

wera122 Guest

We could tell you but then we'd have to kill you. Still want one? [​IMG]

5. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Try Chapparal.

6. CharlieM#90

CharlieM#90 Well-Known Member

I agree! Now if only WERA would give us something....like a LW Class. [​IMG]

Charlie Mc #90

7. WERA

WERA Administrator

Sorry, it's just not worth it for both people that are wanting to do it right now...

And yes - more than two have mentioned interest but only two of you would actually do it and follow the series so there just doesn't seem to be a point in it for the National stuff.

8. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Hey Sean,
    Could you quantify "follow the series". Not everybody attends every event even at the National level.

If this year's schedule reflects most year's schedule, I would easily be able to attend half of the events, probably even 7 of them with just me and finding a cooperative buddy.

Heck, I could probably drum up a halfway decent team by 2002 if I knew I could count on a LW class being there.

Then I could get my own Sue-O-Mee helmet!

Greg "LW Endurance Wannabe" Gabis
    #223 Novice

9. CharlieM#90

CharlieM#90 Well-Known Member

So what is the "critical mass" point? And if the race, scoring, etc., is already being run, just what is the limiting factor in making it "worth it"?

And is this any indication as to whether WERA is going to continue the 2-hr series in the future ....???

Charlie Mc #90

10. WERA

WERA Administrator

The critical mass is a point around where the number of entry fees at each event would at least pay for the trophies and purse for the class. Add in some potential problems with closing speeds between the LW bikes (and yes I know we have some slow MW's as well) and it just doesn't seem worth it - note that I said "seem". If we get some LW turnout in the 2 hours and see how the 24 goes (in which we are running a LW class) then possibly we'll try it again at the Nationals.