1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SE mtns are burning

Discussion in 'General' started by used2Bfast, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

You over near Walland?

drop likes this.
  2. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Townsend? That one was really pouring out the smoke this afternoon.

3. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

We were hanging off the side of Whiteside Mountain in Cashiers,NC and watched one start. Also two or three on 129 from Robbinsville to Deal's .

4. nantahala

nantahala Well-Known Member

Asheville got a reprieve from the smoke today, but it is supposed to be back tomorrow. It hasn't been as bad as Franklin though. A couple of people in my office live SE of Asheville and the Lake Lure fire is getting close to their houses. Hopefully it will be contained along a road and not go farther north.

The schools are not letting kids go out for recess and several field trips were cancelled because of the smoke... sigh.

5. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Smoke has been fine the last few days. Fires here around Joyce Kilmer wilderness are much more lower-intensity now.

Today. Joyce Kilmer road on left. The road straight is Maple Springs, where the fire started at its lookout, 5 miles in. They've stopped it right there so far. Note the rocks are all burnt dark gray.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pic of basically the entire Kilmer wilderness. That distant right hand slope, is all burning. Note almost zero smoke... Sans a plume or 2 way up high towards the top of the right side of the ridge.
    [​IMG]

Water tankers making laps dropping water up higher.
    [​IMG]

FS rd 81 (gravel-hala, that parallels the Skyway) is closed, and being prep'd as another contingency fire break.
    [​IMG]

Clear as a bell today, otherwise.
    [​IMG]

6. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Ya. Ten minutes away. Im on topside.

7. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Saw on news tonight that the East Millers Cove fire was roughly 25% contained. Maybe we'll get some decent rain overnight to help out.

8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Forecast is little if any rain associated with this front and 20-40 mph winds. :mad:
    Tomorrow might be a bad one. I hope not.

9. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Its RAINING right now here in Robbinsville NC. Awesome. First time in months.

10. 4 water helicopters are using our airport as a home base for now. There one giant twin rotor and the other 3 are Bell, not sure which model, mid size helicopters though. Was talking to one of the pilots today, he said its been the toughest day yet because of the winds. They are actually taking a couple hours off until the wind dies down so since I always carry 5 fishing rods with me, 2 pilots and a co pilot are fishing on my buddies private land with me. Treating them to lunch which should be delivered soon. Seems like they needed a break and do something besides flying. I'm going to give them the gate code and leave some gear out here for them.

11. Great to hear!!! We need some, well a lot.

12. These winds are not good around here. The wind meter on the dock saw a max of 31mph and I reset it this morning.

13. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Yes, on the wind. Figure at least everything's been wet'd down somewhat before the winds move in. I just raked the leaves back after the 2 hour-ish rain... still dry and dusty just under the leaves.

14. Winds wreaked havoc today in N Ga. guys had fun fishing, I brought a few more rods down for their support crew guys (2).

Shenanigans and Phl218 like this.
  15. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

A bud (old retired WERA racer) came up this weekend for some local trails/dual sport riding here near the Gap in western NC. Cold, but still fun. Air was clear. Windy as hell tho.
    [​IMG]

jrsamples likes this.