1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screwed on E-Bay

Discussion in 'General' started by grich575, Aug 14, 2007.

1. grich575

grich575 Well-Known Member

So I sell a Nikon D-200 on E-Bay and some guy in Russia buys it win 7 seconds to go. I usually only sell to people in th US so I tell him I can't ship to Russia and he tells me how he will pay immediately and that all is good. So I charge him double for shipping and after payment clears PayPal and I deposit it into my bank, I ship out the camera. Little did I know the charges were flagged as unauthorized and the money was taken back out of my bank account. This all happened between Fri and yest.

So now I have been on the phone with Customs, the USPS, and PayPal trying to find out what can be done. After 5 hours of searching I have finally figured out that I am pretty much screwed. The only hope I have, as far as I can tell, is that tomorrow morning when I call Customs back the package hasn't been cleared yet and they can track it down. Highly doubtful!!!

So, have any of you been through something like this? I have contacted another E-Bay member that this douchbag has done the same thing to this past weekend. We have same shipping address but different names to send the items to. The PayPal address is for someone in California, the E-Bay account is someone in Louisiana, and the shipping address is Moscow, Russia.

$1300 camera sent to someone for free!!! This sucks!!! Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Always a cashiers check or Money order cashed and money in hand before shipping, always.

3. Ontheedgeprsprt

Ontheedgeprsprt Pumpkin riders

I've been screwed on eBay a few times, but never for that much money. That's harsh, I hope luck is on your side. I did look up a few eBay revenge schemes that I can relay to ya, but doubtful it'll help if he's using an illegitimate eBay buyer name.

It's too bad, that to really sell on eBay, you're forced to use Paypal, it's not as secure as they'd leave you to think.

4. grich575

I'll keep the revenge thing in mind.

Paypal has all these outs for themselves also. If you didn't do this or this or this we can't help you out!!!:down:

Maybe just maybe something will turn up. Gotta be positive but it's not lookin' good.

5. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

never ever sell outside the country (Canada is part of the US).

6. grich575

I usually don't but got talked into it this time. :down: :down: Never, never again. I may consider the great, vast north but i dunno!! :)

7. joedogR6

joedogR6 Well-Known Member

You will never see your money or camera again, paypal will refuse to help, they are out for the crooks( it seems), i have been screwed out of several transactions in the same chargeback scheme, one for over a grand. Now i dont ship until i have the money in hand through an account i only use for paypal. Just be glad your paypal wasnt hacked and all he got ya for was 1300......sux but that is the way it goes.

8. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

thats why i'll only ship to the paypal confirmed address and make sure the ebay confirmed address is the same. if you do that, then paypal will protect you

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

For the most part if You ship to the verified paypal address your protected.

That said, next time you wanna give some nice sh^t away, I can meet ya on the 510 bridge and I will even throw in a free kick in the nuts:D

10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Send Ivan another package. It'll take three days of eating nothing but cabbage and Whoppers from Burger King to make, but it's worth it. After those three days, drop a nice chocolate dragon inside a specially marked package, label the customs form as "mom's special cookies" and ship it to Ivan.

I be that if it only looks like dirt, Red customs won't bother opening that box, helping to keep your prize fresh. A nice big kaka for him.

Now, if he's Arabic, you should send pork. But you gotta be careful with that because who knows what he'd send you.

11. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

:up: yes! A friend that raises and sells [expensive] horses won't take money orders or cashier checks anymore either as they can be forged.

12. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Hell, even cash can be counterfeit.

David

13. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

yep

same thing happened to me, sold a set of vortex clip-ons to a guy in france. he paid via paypal, I shipped product, and then 5 months later he protests the chage via payal and they debit my account. 5 months later. customer no service has tough me to never ship outside of U.S. also, my $50 does not compare to the cost you lost.... but, still similar.

14. lfg929

lfg929 Well-Known Member

That is a big downer! I have gotten pretty lucky then I guess. I have sold stuff to people in Australia, England and a couple other countries and have had no problems.

15. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

I got hosed out of about a hundred bucks buying from the Ukraine. The guy simply didn't ship it, e-bay chose to ignore it.

16. DeeZR6

DeeZR6 WERA BBS #1

That is a very good idea to not just send to people that screw you over, but family that I don't like and such :crackup:

17. zook1k6

zook1k6 Banned

IT CANNOT BE SAID ENOUGH! PAYPAL SUCKS PAYPAL SUCKS PAYPAL SUCKS PAYPAL SUCKS PAYPAL SUCKS PAYPAL SUCKS PAYPAL SUCKS!!!!!
    WWW.PAYPALSUCKS.COM
    THEY MAKE YOU THINK THEY WILL PROTECT YOU AND IT'S ALL JUST BULLSHIT! I SOLD A WATCH ON EBAY AND THE BUYER CLAIMED IT WAS DAMAGED AND GOT HIS MONEY BACK AND PAYPAL TRIED TO COLLECT FROM ME AND FROZE MY ACCT. LUCKILY I MADE SURE I HAD THE MONEY IN MY ACCT BEFORE SHIPPING! I ASKED THEM TO HELP ME FIND THE GUY OR FUCK OFF AND THEY CHOSE TO FUCK OFF!!! I USE BIDPAY NOW OR GOOGLE CHECKOUT.

18. chas

chas Well-Known Member

THis should have been the red flag for you.

Just cause it's eBay and PayPal doesn't mean it's all good. If the eBay Account is for somewhere else then where it's being shipped to, and the PayPal account is for even another place you should have turned the deal down at that point.

It doesn't take long to look into this stuff, and when your dealing with someone from eastern europe (Russia/former USSR countries are filled with this crap!) you should do your best to make sure it's 100% on he up and up.

Im not sticking up for eBay or PayPal (I wont' use PayPal since it's as secure as an unlocked safe), but this time it could have been avoided with a little due diligence on your part (as in the end it's you who gets screwed).

19. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I'm always amazed at the amount of research folks will do after they get ripped off.

20. charles

charles The Transporter

I feel for ya...$ 1300 is tough to lose this way to some Russkies eating borscht...if you don't mind, send me the shipping address and details, and let me see what I can do for you.

Transporter