1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scott's oil filter

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Mitch, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Mitch

Mitch MV Persistence

I read the other couple threads from last year, and I know expert 317 doesn't like 'em, but what does anyone else know about the scott's oil filter? restrictive? waste? its for an r6 race bike that gets new oil every couple weekends. if it works well, I think its a good idea.

opinions?

2. demarco

demarco Member

Scotts Filter

I'm also interested in it. The Scotts filter costs about 100.00 here (at a local bike shop), and a regular filter is about 10.00 (Yamaha filter). so it seems that it pays for it self after about 10 changes or so.

But does it work. My buddy at the bike shop thinks its great on his dirt bike, but doesn't know about using it on a street bike.

3. svstinker

svstinker Well-Known Member

We used them on blown alcohol dragsters but they were a different brand. Easy to clean and durable. Saves many trips to the store. ;)

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

visualizing a micron
    - a human red blood cell is 5 microns
    - an average human hair has a diameter of 100 microns
    - most humans cannot see anything smaller than 40 microns with the unaided eye.

a micron is @ 0.00004"
    so, 35 microns=@ 0.0014"
    according to 'scotts', paper filters can pass 80 microns, @ 0.004". tho' the paper might filter down to 20 microns, @ 0.0008", it's not consistant.
    scotts says their 35 microns is absolute.
    i chose to use one. i'd rather not worry about something bigger than my bearing clearances floating around in my lube system.
    the main reason i bought one...i can see what's going thru my motor w/o a lot of mess...particularly, any 'motor' material.

5. Mitch

Mitch MV Persistence

ah....but does that lower micron number of 35 impede flow?

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

they say 57gpm of cold oil. your pump can't push that much flow unrestricted...so, no flow problems. if you keep the bike long enough, you're gonna spend 100+$ on filters anyway. if you're not in need of anything else for the bike right now, i say go for it.

7. Mitch

Mitch MV Persistence

shiiiiiiot. that thing will pay for itself by august. I'm gettin one.

thanks for the help guys. see ya in the nc region.

mitch
    ex#680

8. svstinker

svstinker Well-Known Member

Another plus is examining metal flakes caught in the screen. A sharp mechanic can deter potential problems. ;)