1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotch drinkers

Discussion in 'General' started by styles, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Yup. There are some fantastic blends.

2. Gordo61

Gordo61 Member

Laphroaig 15 yr for the win. Johnnie W green for flavor and price. Johnnie Red for price.

3. Dits

That Laphroaig is some good stuff. Slightly salty but nice.

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

OK, scotch story....
    Several years ago I took my work gang out for a fancy dinner. We'd been working long hours for a couple of weeks and it was time to blow off some steam.
    I got the best table at one of the nicest restaurants in town and I ordered a scotch (on the rocks...sorry there you purists). Anyways, the waiter brings me my drink and it's got a cherry in it! WTF is this I inquire? Before he could take it back I quickly downed it and informed him no cherries go into a scotch (except free ones).
    It was really the bartenders fault, but like I said, WTF.

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

prob just a personal preference. ive never been disappointed by a single malt. for me, its like buying a lager (switching to beer for analogy). ya there are some good ones out there, but y buy it when u can get an amazing ale just as easily.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  6. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

Glendronach. I'm not a huge scotch drinker, but when I do sip it, Glendronach is it. Top stuff.

And Maker's does not suck. The absolute best? Perhaps not, but I do think that it's some of the best there is for the money.

7. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Best way to start enjoying scotch is to start with a good double-casked single-malt scotch like Balvenie Doublewood that has a second casking after the oak casking that helps to smooth it out. I started here and didn't turn back. Macallan 12 is also a good smooth Islay that I enjoy that doesnt kick your ass with a big peaty mouth. Put a couple of cubes of ice in the scotch and let it sit for a few mins at first. It smoothes things down a bit while you are learning the taste.

Once you learn that not all scotches are equal and appreciate the flavor profiles you really get addicted...I have a pretty large collection.

8. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Slowly. Having a good cigar doesn't hurt either :D

9. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I came back from a trip to El Paso this past summer with a "good" cigar, and some scotch. The combination knocked me on my ass the first time I combined them...

An alcohol buzz and a cigar buzz at the same time...WOW!!!

10. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I have some Glenmorangie Original that I sip on occassion. Very good but I prefer bourbon.

11. Dits

Got me a bellyfull of Johnnie Walker about right now... hen sitting on my lap, Warren Haynes on the box.

Life is great! :up:

12. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

^ This guy knows what's up. Maker's Mark FTW.

I swill cheap beer daily, but when it comes to spirits the cheap shit is just awfull. Good booze should be a nice relaxing experience. Oh, and clear liquor is for homos. (NTTAWWT) :p

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well thank you sir. I must hijack this scotch thread once again because it is my duty as a Kentuckian to promote bourbon.

For years, Maker's was the preeminent bourbon sold. But dark liquors in general had a hard time in the 80's. It was all vodka and rum. Actually it was Japan and the far east that came to the rescue. They couldn't get enough bourbon and the demand was out for ultra-premiums.

Of course as anyone knows it takes at least 6 years and preferably 8-10 to age a fine bourbon. So you didn't see the Woodfords, Bookers, Blantons etc until the mid 90's. Once these came out the demand for bourbon in the US regained it's steam.

Used to be that Early Times, 4 Roses, Old Fitz etc were your lower end brands and Maker's had the top all to it's self. Now poor old Maker's sits in the middle, surpassed by the smoothness of the high ends.

But it is still a quality bourbon and a reletive bargain at around $20 a bottle. Woodford is going for $33 now.

If you are ever in this region, partake in the Bourbon Trail in Bardstown. An amazing journey through history in general and you get samples at every distillery!

I now return you to the previously scheduled program (while I fix myself a Woodford on the rocks).

14. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

(This applies to all whiskey's.. not just Scotch, so subsitute the word Scotch for your favourite brand of whiskey. Mine is Jameson)

Beginner - Cheap scotch & Soda on the rocks. (Soda = Ginger ale, Coke or Club)
    Novice - Decent scotch on the rocks. (rocks = ice)
    Intermediate - 12 year old scotch, possibly with a few drops of water.
    Pro - 15+ year old or better scotch neat. (neat = straight up)

Depending on the mood Im in, I'll have anything from Jameson & Gingerale on the rocks.. to a glass of 18 year old Jamie neat. It also depends on the social setting and event I'm at. At home, I'm going to drink more than I would in public.. so Scotch & soda works out alot better for pacing myself and allowing me to drink as long as I pretty much want. Out a bar or restaurant I'm gonna have 2-3 glasses on the rocks. And at a jacket & tie social event.. I'm drinking a couple of glasses neat or possibly with 1 cube of ice. I probably going to be walking around alot and like that a drink with no ice doesnt freeze my hands.. and its a very classy look to have on a suit or tux with a glass of whiskey neat in your hand. Also helps, the more "straight up" a drink is.. the more I will sip than I drink, as it has quite a bite and you cant just throw them back too fast.

And sipping can make a glass last quite a while. You arent going back and forth to the bar like the company alcoholic. And sipping (IMO) is like smoking a cigar. Its a marathon, not a race. The longer you take to actually enjoy the product and enjoy the enviroment you are in.. the more rewarding the entire experience is.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  15. joec

joec brace yourself

the girl got me drinking it. its good stuff. scotch is a sippin drink. just a little in the bottom of a small glass. each time. fuck water and ice. straight up neat and clean right outta the bottle. the smokier, the better.

lagavulin, or oban....also two good ones i usually like to try.

16. Daekwan

Daekwan Ant Gobert's fav. rider..

Its a misconception that a blend isnt a quality scotch. When in fact a blend is used to create a taste and note that a batch cannot. There are many highly rated blended scotches.

Single barrel, single malt and batch whiskey is mainly about consistency.. when you really enjoy the taste of something, you might want the exact same taste bottle to bottle. And while most people couldnt tell the difference in a blind test, between a fine blend and a fine single malt.. its one of the things where people are willing to pay more for it, so people are willing to make it and sell it for more.

17. 12

12 Well-Known Member

Of course love the expensive single malts...but the best value for the money I've found is McClellands Single Malt.( $19/bottle).

As for whiskey - the Black Bush (Bushnell's) Irish Whiskey
    It's triple run....very smooth.

18. Italiantwin04

Italiantwin04 Well-Known Member

Maker's Mark is bourbon for people that don't drink bourbon. Maybe it is the red wheat in it, but something about it just tastes "off" to me. I go for Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit or Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It probably helps that I live within walking distance of the distillery.

19. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

20. joec

joec brace yourself

say no more!