1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Score a win for the Baltimore PD!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by StaccatoFan, Feb 16, 2019.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

ducnut likes this.
  2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I'm more excited that a Judge who has to be liberally elected or appointed did the right thing by overturning that RIDICULOUS award.
    $37M awarded to the surviving members of the family of the shooter???? Are you shitting me?

Then people wonder why so many skells are willing to get into shootouts with the government when they see this sorta BS? It's like their very own G-PowerBall Lotto.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Good on the overturn. I always wonder about these standoffs though. Wouldn’t it be easier to back off and wait it out? If there aren’t hostages in danger of being hurt by the aggressor, there isn’t much need to pushthe issue. Shut off the water and power and wait for her to get thirsty, hungry, or tired.

Or just nab her when she goes out to check the mail or down to the corner store for cigarettes. She’d have to go out at some point and likely wouldn’t have been packing a 12ga.

SpeedyE and SuddenBraking like this.
  4. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

From what I read, she moved to where she had a tactical advantage to shoot at officers and then the fireworks started. Don't know how long the standoff was but the BF and one child walked out early in the mess.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I read the same article. She moved into the kitchen where I’m sure it would have bottlenecked the swat guys and allowed her to shoot them one at a time. What’s odd, is that AFTER she did this, they move on her, allowing her to take advantage of the position. Why not wait? The only reason to move in should of been if she was threatening to kill the kid.

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The problem with back off and wait is that the consequences are less severe so it will encourage more idiots to do stupid shit. If people know that the response to aggression will be sudden and violent there will be fewer people willing to start shit. Take for instance the one and only time someone tried to hijack an Israeli airliner back in the mid 70's. All of the hijackers, a bunch of government soldiers from the country that supported the hijackers and unfortunately a few passengers were killed and there has not been an attempted hijacking of one of their planes since. Sometimes "excessive" violence is the best answer.:D

auminer and sheepofblue like this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Only problem there is that it’s not the police’s job to dole out those consequences.

SpeedyE likes this.
  8. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Yea let's embolden retarded people more, by letting them choose the situation of when their arrest could/should happen. :rolleyes:

Most PD's don't have a crystal ball to know which people will take the crazy route when executing a simple arrest warrant.
    Let's try to remember that not all warrants are high risk/priority warrants and Warrant Squads in high pop areas typically have a long list of names of whom they need to go snatch up, daily.

And all that is beside the reality of how often we hear about a suicidal parent taking their children out with them. You back off and wait for <enter dream scenario here> and they decide to take out there child with them, y'all will be in here bitching about how stupid they were for backing off. FACT, but carry on. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    ducnut likes this.
  9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Most of the incidents that I recall where parents killed their
    children did not involve the police until after the incident was over.
    Considering she was holding a child I would think that waiting
    would be the way to go.
    It's only luck that left the kid alive and the mother is dead so it's
    not like the outcome was optimal, plus the reason the cops gave
    for the decision to start firing had zero to do with the safety of the child.

10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

You guys are a riot, only in the Dungeon could people justify leaving an ARMED nutty character alone.

11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Well... the state of New Jersey let your dumb ass carry a gun, so there's that...

:p

SuddenBraking likes this.
  12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It’s no different than no chase policies for motorcycles.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Lots of nutty characters are armed. It’s their constitutional right unless a court has deemed otherwise. Again, not the police’s job to be doling our punishment.

14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Nobody said to leave her alone, just to back off and wait her out.

SpeedyE likes this.
  15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

According to the article they called in the tactical unit. They are the ones that are supposedly trained in how to deal with the correct people were there to deal with the situation. She blazed off 2 shots at police after saying that she was prepared to die and was trying to stream the action of her being all gangsta on to social media. As soon as you point a firearm at the police tactical unit and blaze off a couple rounds the consequences are all on you. It sucks that the kid got winged but IMO, the world is a better place without that deranged sociopath who would willingly put her child in harms way like that and shoot at cops over a traffic ticket.

What sucks is that alot of people who are saying that the cops should not have shot her are the same ones that would be saying that the cops should have shot her had she decided to shoot a bystander while they were waiting her out. I certainly would not want to be a police officer right now. It doesn't matter what cops do, someone monday morning quarterbacks the shit out of the situation and finds fault in the actions of the cops.

See, I think that is stupid too. I am all for using spike belts, ramming with cars or whatever to stop fleeing motorcycles. As was said in the initial post, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I would suspect at least 1/2 of the dumb shit that goes on today would not happen if we stopped coddling the criminals and had actual consequences for bad behavior.

code3ryder and ducnut like this.
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The police shot first:

Ruby shot Gaines the first time, and her shotgun discharged, according to documents. Ruby testfied he then heard the "pump action of the shotgun 'rack,'" and Gaines discharged her gun a second time.

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Whoops. I misread that. She was waving the shotgun around and pointing it at cops so he popped her. I am still OK with it though...

18. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Imma get attacked for this, so be it.

Do i personally think the police did anything wrong? No.
    Do i wish it would have been handled differently? Yes

1) She was not a 'criminal' until the standoff.
    2) Whatever happened to 'hostage negotiators' ?
    3) It is a sad outcome. Her life had value. She obviously had mental problems. Doesnt make her a bad person. Sad ending. She did it to herself.

19. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

Doing the job for 30 years I learned that there are" yes people "and "no people". As for LE doling out the consequences, her actions dictated the outcome. If in fact she was mentally ill and not treated, that is failure of the mental health system not LE. I never Monday morning QB. If I wasn't there who the fuck I'm I to judge how the operation was run.

On a side note there is no such thing as a routine execution of a arrest warrant. As a FTO I instilled in the FNG's that the warrant, as simple and innocuous as it seems is serious business. Take for instance a FTA or probation violation, ya never know what the individual has done prior to or after the issuance of the warrant. They could have committed various crimes from burglary to murder and they think that is why they are being sought. As a LE ya better do your homework and have your shit together ANYTIME you execute a arrest warrant.

I'm just an old retired catch dog and I know opinions are like......well you know.

David

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    StaccatoFan likes this.
  20. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

This was NOT in Baltimore guys!