1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schumacher gives 10 mil to victims

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Scott47, Jan 4, 2005.

1. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

Yeah so what?

He didn't HAVE to give one dime, but he gave $10 million.

Give the guy credit for what he did give, don't bash him for what he didn't give.

2. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

You didn't have to hold a press conference you came here and reminded us all of your donation....many times. I guess bringing it up over and over is better than one press conference.:)

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

For brad, bringing it up "over and over" is a dream come true...

4. Laurie Acree

5. Scott47

Scott47 Well-Known Member

How did this end up in P & R? I know I started it in General. Well, as long as you have fun with it. Don't expect to see me in this place often. Not my favorite subjects for sure.

6. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Werd. Anybody else here give 8% of their income? Didn't think so. 5%? How about 1%?

Granted, that remaining 92% of his salary is more than I'll likely make in my lifetime, not to mention what he has made in the past... Rich bastard.... ;)

I'm always amazed at folks looking the ol' gift horse in the mouth... :rolleyes:

Actually, I think it's incredibily shitty to question why or how much some gives....

7. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Apparently a lot of folks feel they know what they should do with Schumacker's money. Jeez.

From The SpeedTV Forum

8. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

So Laurie, do you think that Brad bringing it up over and over had a positive or negative effect on the air fence fund?
    Did Brad "guilt" people into donating to a worthy fund, or did they think "Brad is just trying to make himself look good by giving, I'll show him. I'm not going to give one penny to the air fence fund!"

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd say that's pretty obvious by her responses so far.....

10. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Yeah but you gotta admit, Mongo, it was a nice attempt at spin ;)

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do you even know what Laurie is mistakenly referring to (Brad's response should have clued you in) as the "airfence fund" or are you just trying to argue on general principle? I am asking because you are way, way off.

12. cbrmarc

cbrmarc Well-Known Member

he should have held a press conference and gave $1 and then asked for change

imo he got the same result...as stated earlier, give anonymously

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, we know Bush gave money ($10k, I believe). Publicity stunt?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If none of those high-profile people had made their donations public, there would have been people here criticizing millionaires for not caring. The bottom line is that the kid in Indonesia who now doesn't have to worry about getting a meal tomorrow doesn't care whether Schumacher or Bush gave a press conference.

I don't care how rich Schumacher is, that was 10% of his income. An amazing act of generosity. So is Sandra Bullock's $1 million, by the way. It is possible we will never find out how much money Tiger Woods, George Soros or Bill Gates donated, but it doesn't diminish what Schumacher did.

14. jck22903

jck22903 zee 500, eez like, Faaack

15. Scott47

Scott47 Well-Known Member

Portion of a story on speed channels website.

Schumacher was touched personally by the disaster, as one of his German bodyguards, Burkhard Cramer, was among the casualties. Cramer Schumacher’s spokeswoman Sabine Kehm said Wednesday that Cramer died in Phuket, Thailand, and that his two sons also are believed to have died.

The huge donation, however, wasn’t the only big withdrawal from Schumi’s bank account this week, as the seven-time world champ also bought a $27m summer estate by Lake Como in Italy. The Ferrari star’s bid reportedly beat proposals from celebrieties including Brad Pitt, Kevin Costner and Bruce Springsteen.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Publicity stunt! The house is worth $300k! :D

17. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

"Burkhard Cramer, a bodyguard for Schumacher was among those killed in Phuket, Thailand, Schumacher spokeswoman Sabine Kehm said Wednesday. Cramer's two sons also are believed to have died.

18. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Nope, I missed that episode of As The WERA Turns.
    I was trying to make the point that people shouldn't criticize charitable donations regardless of the motive.
    The charity still gets the money and if the giver keeps talking about it, other people may donate too.

19. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Werd. :stupid:

20. Laurie Acree

It wasn't criticism. I was pointing out to Brad that he has done the same thing he is blaming Schumacher for.