1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schuberth SR1

Discussion in 'General' started by MachineR1, Jan 16, 2013.

1. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

I had the day off today so I went by one of the local shops to try on an HJC RPHA-10. The shop wall that displays all the helmets was under construction so the manager told me all the helmets are on sale this week only until the new display is finished.

I tried on the HJC, it fit my melon well but the chin bar was to close for my grill. I didn't like the center visor lock either it felt too fiddly.

The only other race helmet he had in stock was the Schuberth SR1. At first I didn't even want to look at it because of the price, but I tried it on anyway. It fits my head great. I have tried on every helmet available the last 2 weeks; Shoei, Nexx, X-Lite, HJC etc... The Schuberth and the Shoei X-12 fit my head like a glove. Since the Schuberth was on sale for 125 euro's off I bought it.

My bike is put up for the Winter so I can't do a full review but I will update this thread in the Spring. I haven't seen much on the web about this lid so I figured I would give a little review.

My review so far:
    + The best fit and finish of any helmet I've ever seen. I have an Arai Corsair and a Shoei X-11 so I am not comparing this to anything cheap.

+ It appears like this thing will flow huge amounts of air. The vent switches feel very solid, you know if the vent is open or closed.

+ The visor mechanism is really easy to change. My Arai always feels like I'm going to break something. It also came with a free pinlock insert, I have never used one before so I am not sure how well they work.

+ The cheek pads feel like they lock your face in. A nice "racy" secure feel.

- Price, this thing was expensive. The visors are expensive too.

- It's tight to put on, the thick cheekpads smash my temples when I slide it on. My Arai was the same way when new so hopefully it will subside a bit as it breaks in.

- Only available in black, matte black and white. I bought the matte black.

That is all for now. More to follow after I actually ride with this thing.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I dicked around with one my last visit to Beer and pretzel land. Real real nice but it was shit your pants expensive.

3. racertex

racertex vintage dude

they are available in the States. I'd either call Bob's BMW or Revzilla. Both have them in stock. $900 is pretty pricey...so I'll stick with my Arai.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I just got a Schuberth Concept helmet for my Beemer (natch). I think it's a great, quality built helmet but I still kinda like my Arai better. But the Arai sucks in this winter weather.

I got mine used from a guy down the street that developed arthritis right after he bought it and had to quit riding. He sold it to me for $150...goes for close to 8 bills new (yikes).

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think Brian Van @ sportbike track gear is going to be selling them. I remember him talking about 'em.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

He's had the review on the site since last year. Nice lid.

7. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner - These helmets at first fit felt great, are extremely light and with the size of the ventilation holes it flows air like a champ.