1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schools, the good, bad and ugly

Discussion in 'General' started by OldGuyOnBlu, Oct 31, 2012.

1. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

OK, my frustrations are running over, so I think it is time to get some proper training. But Where?

I would like to hear from those of you that took one of the many schools as a racer, not the front of the pack guys, but those of us near the back that want to improve to be in the middle.

I didn't start racing till I was 57, so I'm a late starter and suffer with what comes of age, including a well refined sense of mortality, but that also gives me a realistic expectation of improvement capacity.

Did you think you got the bang (long-term improvement) for your high bucks?
    What did you like, dislike about the program?
    Would you do the school you took again, or would you look elsewhere?

I want to hear it all.

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I've taken the Schwantz school and I think it'd suit you well. They have small groups led around by very fast guys who are also very good teachers, and while you're not on the track they have you in a classroom going over video of you, shot by the instructors.

3. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Are there any schools that claim to drop lap times? I thought a lot of places (YCRS, Schwantz, etc) were about how to ride rather than how to race. I have been looking for more a race craft school than what is currently offered.

4. tlovely

tlovely Well-Known Member

The best 'school' you can get, bang for your buck, to improve your riding ability/ bike control/ learn racing is to get on a little dirt bike. Preferably on equal bikes with other guys close to your pace, on a dirt TT style track without jumps. By little bike I mean something under 125 (4stroke) size. I feel that this way you can learn more, push yourself, and increase your skill faster and with spending a lot less money.

This is probably not the answer you were looking for, but its just one fast & poor guy's opinion.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't know any that claim to drop times but don't know any that don't do so.

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Learning to ride better is what drops lap times ;)

For racecraft, ie when to follow and study instead of pass and get re-passed.. that's just experience.

7. sowega

sowega #710

Find some friends, and each of you spend $600-1000 on TTR125s and BT45 tires.

Find a parking lot.

Give em hell.

8. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

I did the Scwhantz Lites school at RRR back in 2011. Ted Cobb, and Lee Acree were awesome instructors. And I did lower my lap times.

9. I happen to know of a good one that did wonders for me. :)

10. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

For grins, be sure to tell some of your non-motorcycling friends you're taking the Schwantz School to work on your entry speed. :D

11. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

I really want to do a DSA school.

12. :up:

13. KK352

KK352 Well-Known Member

Although I'm in Calif...

I've done many *many* Jason Pridmore STAR Schools, and just LOVE them!

Not to get too deep, but what I loved was that you could make it as much as you desire to make it.

They really get to the basics, and then grow from there based on the individual rider.

For example, I go into the school with specific technical skills that I feel need improvement, and the reflection on the basic comments often helps to shine light on how to improve that specific issue I struggle with.

I've often gone in needing to learn now to brake more aggressively without "learning to brake more aggressively by landing on my head"

Just my 2 cents....

starmotorcycle.com

They've played a significant role in turning me into the rider I am today. Mongo can vouch for my improvements ;)

14. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Yamaha Champs School is amazing. We put my 11 year old son through it once this year and I was able to be a part of the whole thing. It will make you faster as well as safer. Gauge dropped 7 seconds off his best the next weekend. Went from passing one or two riders to fighting for the podium.

Worth every penny.

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I just took the Jason DiSalvo school and loved it. I had taken a couple other schools in the past, but really learned a great deal from Jason and Brian (Stokes) over the course of two days and would love to even take it again. If you're looking to go faster on the track, they can certainly help with that.

The concepts they teach make riding "fast" a heck-of-a-lot easier than what I've been doing. Body position, lines, and a number of other things as well. Lots of video sessions to critique and work on things. I was very impressed with how well things ran and how much I learned - I would highly recommend trying it.

16. Evil Cupcake

Evil Cupcake Active Member

I did Jason Pridmore's STAR school at VIR this past yr and I was very happy to work one on one with James Rispoli and a few other staff members. They really helped me with corner entries and braking. Despite others there doing what they wanted the drills helped and at the end of the day I felt more confident and relaxed. Dropped 2 sec of my times at my next race at Summit Main

17. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

The Rich Oliver 4-day pro school was the most physically intense school I've done. A very serious boot camp format that'll whip your ass into shape. Not 100% sold that everything translated to road racing, but it was VERY challenging both physically and mentally.

Especially for someone who has never really ridden a dirtbike before ;-)