1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School + Racing questions

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by TakeItApart, Feb 16, 2011.

1. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I was looking over the Roger Lyle's dates and it looks like I'll be able to snag a school some time in April.

My question is; then what? Say I pass the school. What do I do next? Just register for Wera events?

Oh, and since Chaotic will probably chime in here... :Poke:
    But anyone else can answer too.

How would you rate the 06-08 iteration of the daytona 675 for a race bike?
    Anything to look out for? I'll probably try to stay SS legal. What classes can I run?

I already know used parts/support for them is a bit limited compared to the japanese brands and I guess I'm okay with that as buying another bike and getting it ready will most likely be more expensive than just rolling with what I have.

I have put a manual CCT on and changed my oil pan gasket to the newer baffle style. I think I might have about 5500 street/track miles on it, (mostly street, only three or four track days on it). Anything else to look out for as far as reliability goes?

2. ton

ton Arf!

pass school, send certificate to WERA with money for license, then start racing.

the 675 is a competent racebike with the limitations of parts availability as you've already mentioned.

classes? RTFRB.
    (heavyweight twins SS and SB, CSS, CSB, BSS, BSB, middleweight solo, and you could race up even further than that if you want...)

mine eventually spun a bearing after 3 seasons of trackdays and racing, but reliable other than that.

see ya out there!

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can handle the WERA paperwork all at the track too if you prefer but yeah it's pretty much as simple as pass the school and go racing.

4. primo

primo Well-Known Member

Why not just take the race school with WERA Aplril 2nd?

5. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

If you take the Roger Lyle School on April 1 at Summit, you will have a diploma at the end of the day. You can stay at the track, and in the morning you go submit your license application along with your diploma (I think they give it back, but if they need a copy we can take care of that for you.) After registration, you can do practice and race on Saturday afternoon.

That assumes that your bike is ready to pass tech. Read the WERA rulebook CAREFULLY, make sure your numbers are ready to go, your backgrounds are a nice flavor of yellow, and that you have the bike safety-wired properly.

Do well Saturday, hang out with the WERA crazies in the paddock Saturday evening, and race again Sunday. By the end of Sunday you will be halfway through your Provisional Novice period.

PM me if you have any course-or bike-specific questions, I am one of the instructors for the RL school, and will be there all weekend to race, too. If you don't have any buddies to pit with, you can come set up with us, we'll help you get settled in.

6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I'm not sure on the date that I'd be able to attend any April events yet, so I'm keeping options in mind.

Thanks for the replies btw. I figured it was about that easy but just wanted to hear it from those who know.

7. PhilTheBiker

PhilTheBiker Active Member

I took the Roger Lyle Race School, then took a month or two to figure out how to prep my bike, then brought a copy of my diploma that Roger gave me then showed up for the race. The big thing is following the rules for wiring up your bike and what not.

Roger's MotorcycleXcitment has a lot of Novice and Expert WERA and CCS racers that can help you as with probably every trackday organization. Roger also just announced $100 trackdays for ladies at summit, shenny, and thunderbolt. so if you do go make sure you bring a girl.

If you need any help with anything Im here in Baltimore, just drop me a PM.

8. Funky Mo Fo

Funky Mo Fo Make it Funky!

Oh man Clint, those yellow number plates are gonna look soooooo good on your mustard plastics. :crackup:

9. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Hush! I have some ideas! Besides, you can't buy paint for what I paid to get them painted!

So, you pick a date yet? You should go with, it'll only cost you $100.00 :Poke:

10. Funky Mo Fo

Meh, right now it's not a matter of cost or particular date. We can go with whatever. I'd say that it would be nice to get a TD in before school, but I don't suppose it's huge. We will need to get together and have a prep and safety wire party. I got the beer fo sho! :beer:

11. smgosnel

smgosnel Active Member

Took rogers school last year for first TD of year they ease ya in well, i would not be worried.... Wish i could join yas, was looking forward to race a few races this year, then got into some legal stuff over the winter. But in mid June i will be able..

Btw Cutter is a great guy to pit with, pitted with him last year at shenny he makes things interesting for sure. :wow:

12. Funky Mo Fo

Thats cool. Not that either of us is worried...I mean, we both corner LOW and have taken home many trackday trophies, so yea, watch out WERA ;)

13. primo

primo Well-Known Member

^ nOOb :rolleyes:

14. Funky Mo Fo

^ unfamiliar with sarcasm

15. primo

primo Well-Known Member

^ Mofo :D

16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

:crackup:

17. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

That didn't work too well, did it?
    You're welcome. :D

18. PhilTheBiker

PhilTheBiker Active Member

:eek:

Yeah, well, thats just because WERA doesn't provide details on every bike and I had to make educated guesses as to what they wanted and then asking a ton of people different questions about what was what.

Kinda hard to show up at tech and PRAY I got it right.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not really, we work with the new riders to make sure you get on track.

20. BURGIO

BURGIO Well-Known Member

Reggie helped me with showing me how to mark my grid locations and some safety wire issues. Had a lot of helpful tips that made it a lot easier.