1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on wood replacement windows

Discussion in 'General' started by sdiver, Apr 9, 2018.

1. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Currently have Andersen 400 but they are 25 years old and some are starting to rot. I know nothing about windows but will probably end up replacing about 20 of them. Would consider Fiberglass if they look good and are less maintenance.

More Andersen 400's or something else to consider?

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

If you can swing it, do aluminum clad exterior, with wood interior.

Marvin>Anderson>Pella

sdiver likes this.
  3. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I've got Pella, nice windows though I do have one that needs replacing after 15 years. Doesn't leak but the top of the frame on the inside lower of a double hung is warped and cracked.

sdiver likes this.
  4. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

am installing Jeld Wen throughout my house;
    I was in insurance repair claims for 20 yrs and all the windows ultimately would fail due to
    moisture intrustion followed by separation of the mitred corners. This is due to the fact that the wood
    structure inside the alum or vinyl clad is treated only on the OUTside. When the cuts are made at the factory
    for rabbits, dados, mitres, it exposes the non treated interior of the board... and 10-15 yrs later you have a problem.
    The Jeld Wen stuff is treated ALL THE WAY through the wood, so those factory cuts do not expose non treated wood core.
    just my 2c and happy hunting

sdiver likes this.
  5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Instillation is just as critical as the actual window.

sdiver and SUPER K like this.
  6. SUPER K

SUPER K Run-off Tester

I’m a commercial glazier, the best product out there can be ruined by incompetent installers.

sdiver likes this.
  7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Are we talking donuts now?

8. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

^^^this^^^

9. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

So what’s a commercial glazier?

10. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

Anderson 400s again with argon filled “smart sun glass”- clad ext. ( don’t just buy off the shelf at a big box -order the right glass pack from lumber yard- big box will not have argon gas filled glass that is an insulator). install as full frame- remove entire unit to rough opening and install new units with new foam insulation and new trim at interior and new trim at exterior or aluminum capping— whatever Matches your house— Azek (PVC) is a nice exterior trim but more expensive.
    as said it is ALL about a good installer.

sdiver likes this.
  11. speedluvn

Not to thread jack but I will be replacing my basement windows. I was considering creating a new thread but what are some install tips? Or what shouldn’t I do when installing my basement windows?

12. SUPER K

SUPER K Run-off Tester

http://www.engg.ksu.edu/engineering-hall/

I ran the crew of misfits that measured and installed all the aluminum and glass. This was triple pane 1/4” lites, 600# plus units. We also did the louvers/Shade’s. Cool toys and cranes to install.

13. speedluvn

The link is a plug for Kansas engineering? o_O

14. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

The link is showing the finished product of an install he oversaw ... KSU Engineering building. I assume.

15. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Weathershield is the best aluminum clad window. It has a 30 year no rot warranty, and has a ton of colors to choose from. But I would suggest vinyl windows for a less expensive option.

16. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Unless you have done it before, I would not suggest doing it yourself. It’s a pain in the ass to do correctly the first few times. But if you do want to do it anyway there are different ways to do it, and it depends on if they arw the original windows or replaced already. If they are the original windows and aluminum it’s going to be fun.

17. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

I have sold high end windows for over 25 years.

If your 400 sash are the problem, you can get updated replacement sash with the SmartSun glass, and they will fit back into your frames. The AW 400 product has a vinyl frame with Painted sash. It is good paint however, but not a cladding. The sash are the only thing that can rot on this product, IF the frames were installed correctly.

I would avoid WeatherShield. We sold W-S for 2 years and literally every job had warrant issues.
    JeldWen is a good mid-line product, and if you have a good local supplier they may be a good fit.

A good value in clad/wood windows is the Quaker product, made in Freeburg MO. The Eagle (E-Series) line that Andersen purchase about 10 years ago is also a good product, but will be a little more money.
    Marvin and Kolbe are great products, but very expensive.
    Pella is a mediocre product. It uses a lower grade exterior cladding than all other listed above. With Pella you are paying mostly for the name, much like traditional Andersen products.

Ultimately, avoid the big box stores, they know nothing about these products. Look for a window specialty dealer, as they will have the most expertise and can lead you in the best direction and give you the most options. As a second option, I would look for a local contractor yard with a window specialty division, otherwise they will be just as useless as the big boxes.

My .02, hope you find a good replacement option near you.

Razr and sdiver like this.
  18. Yes yes and yes.

19. No need for real life experience or knowledge on the bbs, please don’t use facts and just talk out your @ss :)

20. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

My apologies.