1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Me on Mini Moto/Pocket Bike Racing

Discussion in 'General' started by OldGuyOnBlu, Mar 30, 2017.

1. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

The granddaughter has turned six and I've been thinking that she might dig Pocket Bike Racing.
    I've been googling, but find very little.
    So, tell me what you know about it:
    1. Costs ?
    2. Organizations and where, especially in Ohio and PA.
    3. Anything else you can think of that would be helpful.

Grandma and ma aren't as keen about the possibilities as I am, but I think the little one could talk them into it.

2. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Cost: A good used one (Polini, GRC, Blata, etc.) will cost you ~$700+ They're not toys like the cheap Chinese knock-off's
    Orgs: Fewer and fewer are around. I used to have my son in the Mid-Atlantic Pocketbike racing Organization, which no longer exists as far as I know.
    Anything Else: They're lots of fun and will haul a grown man around the track at a decent clip.

Here isa decent forum with lots of info and a marketplace: http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/forum.php
    This is a great place to find parts and entire bikes (new bikes and parts): http://www.midsouthminimoto.com/polinimotoriitaly.aspx

Here is a video of my son's first time on a track with his pocketbike. The video is called "First Crash" :D :

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    RichB, Lavana, Murcielago311 and 3 others like this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Between OH and NJ... you should be well covered with Orgs that run kids classes.
    http://www.njminigp.com/
    http://omrlmoto.com/

Pocket bike may not be ideal as a first bike. I know both orgs have spec 50 classes which might be a
    better first step.

Also Cam Morehead started a thread that detailed all the mini orgs in the US.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

5. DaddyPhatSaks

DaddyPhatSaks Well-Known Member

Damn that looks fun. Sometimes I wish I had a kid.

6. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

Out here the CRF 50 is the beginner bike of choice. I've been taking my son (just turned 6) to the local kart tracks on the CRF50. It's been a perfect bike for him to figure things out on. We also have a couple of well organized racing orgs out here.

On top of that we have a decent flat track series. All the local road race kids are also doing flat track and a few of them are really stinking fast!

It's relatively cheap and a lot of fun! I found our 50 on craigslist for $700 and put about $200 worth of parts on it (wheels, tires, 7/8" handlebar kit, plastics and graphics). Definitely a great way to get the kids started in road racing.

16831922_10154441932155888_5307634089613881218_n.jpg

TurboBlew, OldGuyOnBlu and ekraft84 like this.
  7. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

CRF50

r6boater likes this.
  8. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

they grow faster in the dirt..

9. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Potatoes or what? What grows faster in dirt?

10. hockyis1

hockyis1 Well-Known Member

kids pocket bikes are "Minimoto" while adult pocketbikes are "Midimoto". I picked up a used GRC 40cc on ebay a year ago for $1500. Full 50cc adult race pocketbikes can cost upwards of $7K and make 17-18 hp. It's tough to keep the front end on the pavement with that type of power. Considering most 50cc bikes only make 4-5hp. My 40cc makes about 8-9. I wish the US had the same type of pocketbike racing as in Europe. They're a kick in the butt.

Attached Files:

11. DaddyPhatSaks

DaddyPhatSaks Well-Known Member

These kids gettin it

ajcjr and slimjim00 like this.
  12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That video was great. :clap:

He had a good save the first time though. :crackup:

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My son started road racing on a Blata pocketbike, which are better than the Chinese ones. Currently out here, you would be better served with a little Honda CRF50. You really should check what is popular in your area.

I was super happy when we moved past Pocketbikes, because those things are super unreliable POS.

DDK732 likes this.
  14. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That video was absolutely priceless.

10/10.

15. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Ttr50.

Like a crf50 only with electric start.

Get a set of tires and let them learn.

I stock most stuff for mini Moto from 50cc-150cc.

If I don't have it, I can get it. I keep 50's on hand as well as 100's for training and learning.

16. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Some of those pocketbikes are stupid nice and with price tags to go with it

17. wrlamkin

wrlamkin Well-Known Member

Hopefully going to G & J kartway on Sunday, in Ohio. Contact me with any questions you may have. Costs? G & J, $10, just got back from COTA, more that $10, it all started with a set of street tires on a JR 50 7 years ago.

18. Damnit.

Now I want to race pocketbikes.

19. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Wait till you see the little Grom killer I'm building.. :D

Cam Morehead and WANABE RACER like this.
  20. [​IMG]