1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Bike Project Underway

Discussion in 'General' started by riversbikes, Nov 6, 2019.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

2. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

haha sweet... :)
    I'm in !!! :):)

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I seriously love seeing those pictures.

4. riversbikes

riversbikes Well-Known Member

I'll keep them coming... new plugs and filter, sidestand removal next. I promise not to swear as we fight with the fuel hose "quick" release under the tank...

5. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Don't forget to take lots of pics of your new quickshifter! :D

6. riversbikes

Some more pics from the Bike Club session last night. Working in tight spaces... changed the plugs, swapped the air filter for a race version, and replaced the water drain bolt with a drilled one for safety wire. Plugs looked ok, but you might as well change them as they could be original to a 32,000 km bike... spark plug boots were pretty stubborn, so we reinstalled them with some lithium grease. Should help keep any dirt from slipping past and falling in the engine the next time the plugs are swapped.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

masshole and Phl218 like this.
  7. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

This is fantastic. These kids will remember this project for the rest of their lives. You're investing in their future - the heart of a true teacher. Awesome in every way!

Banditracer likes this.
  8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Great update pics. I'm digging your midget mechanics. Kudos.

Banditracer likes this.
  9. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I know thousands of Principals and dude, you are a good one. Awesome project. Beats my STEM and CATE stuff by a LONG shot.

10. riversbikes

I'm not smart enough for a STEM project, so greasy fingernails will have to do...

11. riversbikes

Some more pics -- finally sourced the proper hardware for the suspension swap -- the bike previously had a CBR shock on it, with spacers, and proper bolts... all of which ended up being too long when the correct triumph shock was fitted. Some futzing around while the bike was on the stand. Also going a different direction with the exhaust due to noise reasons (db limits), and then fitting the drilled coolant drain bolt and adding racetrack-safe coolant. Tried to fit a woodcraft key delete to the striple, and while the fitting were correct, we ended up with a mile of extra wiring as they were originally intended for a Daytona. So back went the ignition switch, and the key will be safety wired so it doesn't get lost. We did, however fit a race gas cap as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TurboBlew, scottn, Sabre699 and 2 others like this.
  12. riversbikes

And thanks to those forum members who bought the 2 woodcraft key delete dongles I tried to fit to the bike!!

13. riversbikes

Some more progress on the street triple racer... quickshifter has been installed, but needs some fine-tuning still. Front brakes bled, although we're not 100% sure we have the right size master cylinder bore. Also, I scored a set of gently used Leo Vince exhausts -- using these rather than the 3-1 system, as there is a better map available for download. These bikes don't like power commanders, and so finding a proper map from TuneECU is the better fuelling option. Kickstand is also removed, so it's looking more and more racey!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cm1744, blkduc, scottn and 2 others like this.
  14. Sabre699

Great stuff man.....kudos. :clap:

YamahaRick and 969 like this.
  15. riversbikes

The COVID-19 issue here in Canada will see us cancelling all after-school activities for the next month (minimum). As a result, we may have had our last bike club session. The plan is for me to finish it myself (there's very little left to do, actually), and then hopefully display it at the school for a bit so other other students can see the work. Perhaps a group photo and then I'll haul it home for rd 1 in early May. Bummer. I may still post some pics of my finishing up work, but it's not quite the same without the students.

Steeltoe, Sabre699 and dieterly like this.
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Too bad for the kids. That was a cool project.

17. riversbikes

Unfortunately due to the school closure (the province has now closed schools "indefinitely"), the street triple racer project had to be finished off at home. For the most part, the bike was basically complete, although I had to complete a few minor details in my garage. There are a few areas left to safety wire, and race tires to lever on. As well, I'm learning how to use the TuneECU software myself, so I need to upload a map suitable for the Leo Vince exhausts. Other than that, it's good to go. Here's hoping we get out to the track soon! I was really wanting the kids to have a go at safety-wiring some parts, but it did not pan out. Also, thanks to DonTZ125 on this forum for the quickshifter... can't wait to try that out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TurboBlew likes this.
  18. Sabre699

Purdy man...hope the kids get to see it do it's thing.