1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Schedule & Rules?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Bud750, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Bud750

Bud750 Member

Hey guys,
    I am fairly new, planning on hitting the track (not literally) in 2004 and was wondering when we might expect the 2004 schedule and rule changes? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bud in New Orleans

2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I think we may have to wait til early Dec for the 2004 rules, the schedule may be a bit longer.

But I'm with you, the sooner the better.:Poke:

Bob:beer:

3. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

The rules changes and other stuff has been posted on the site. You can even get a 2004 Spring Classic pre-entry form.

With regards to some rules changes... I can't wait to run V3 next year, it should be a blast!!!!
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

4. still novice

still novice Guest

:rolleyes: oh, boy....bursting with exitement here...

5. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

Yens, john ellis has a xs motor for sale with all the goodies and fresh fo 1500.He builds a good one its on the ahrma web mart.Not to say you don't build a good one but the price sounded right for cams head work je pistons welded crank and so on.Tim

6. Bud750

Bud750 Member

Thanks Fellas. Not sure if I'll make any WERA events as a rider in 2004 (but I should), but I will be doing a few trackdays and of course a riders school. I'll be out there with my '75 400f, probably in last place, but with the big smile on my face. I'm still finishing out the bike and have most of my gear together. Look forward to meeting a few of you around the south and southeast.

Bud in New Orleans

7. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

First, I would like to thank the vintage committee for their work to promote good competition. I like the way they have restructured some clases.
    I don't understand why they allow the use of mono-shock conversions to bikes that never came that way. V4 is a Supervintage class limited to 1982 bikes and mono-shock is not permitted and there is only one year's difference to V5. No major pre 1983 bikes had them. I understand that a lot of the Clubman style bikes that had been indexed into the class came that way. With the new class structure of V6 I don' think that mono-shock is a good thing. Why encourage the builder rules into this class. The modernization of this degree is somthing that should be left to the Clubman class. I question the use of upside down forks, but not the use of the six piston brakes that came on a lot of them. The forks help performance a lot more than the brakes. This seems like a saftey modification not a tuning one. The six piston brakes offer longer life and safe braking. No real stopping advantage or the factory race teams would be using them. They can be had on eBay very cheaply.

8. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

FB,
    i understand you from a historical perspective, but a good twin shock can rival a monoshock. if someone was using some really good ones such as works. ive passed some sv650's in the corners in practice...........on my Bultaco 250.......with hot sauce......yeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.:D
    no putnam this year so ill come see you guys at smelson's!!

9. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up but it's not in my price range. My yearly budget for my bike is and always has been $1,000... that's for motor parts, brakes, cables, suspension and tires. I took the plunge a couple of years ago and gladly bought Gary's XS650 with two built motors for $1500 so that I can race in a larger class. That set me back to $500 for this past year's budget and is why I couldn't build another halfway decent motor and sat out half the season.

I have the bike, I have 8 stock backup motors, now I just need the finances that will allow me to build a competitive motor.

10. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Of course, I can't find any of my old Wera rulebooks so I may be wrong on this but the deal was that V4 was a pre 1974 class, bikes such as my GS & Ascots were still indexed into it but it was pre-74. I have no idea what was running down south but we had some single cam honda 750's running up here along with ascots and bump ups from the other classes.

The cutoff was changed to allow the 82 & older twin shock 550 fours in, who I suppose wanted out of V5 because off the FZ750 deal and who could blame them. Not long ago RZ350 used to race in V4 also(yes, mono-shocks were still banned but RZ's got a pass on that rule) True story, back about 95/96 or so I asked the vintage guy in charge at Grattan if I could race my ascot/250 ninja frame thing in V4 at Grattan knowing full well that Mono-shocks were banned but pointed out the RZ's in the class, he didn't see anything wrong with it and said go ahead, raced, had fun, nobody bitched. Went to Nelson, finished 2nd passing a built RZ (with mono-shock and upside down forks!) on the last lap, next to last turn. Was protested! by the RZ? Nooooo someone on a Guzzi that finished 6th. Of course it was upheld by the RD and Vintage RD (yep, same guy from Grattan) They went by the book and ruled against me. (As they should have by the way)

Really no point to this ramble other then the rules board must give alot of thought to changes as one change has a way of affecting other classes down the line. The changes are a step in the right direction but only the first step, more work yet be done to right the classes back to where a bike races against other bikes of its era, or at the very least bikes that have the same tech when it comes to frame/ swingarm/ engine style construction.

Thats the reason I have always felt the GS450 fits in F500, is it to new by year? why yes it is, but when you look at how it was built it fits the era. Thats why it was indexed into V4 when V4 was pre-74.

No more F-RD.... ??? Seems like a good place to insert a F-vintage class so the LW V3 & V4 bikes, V2's and RD's can have our version of MotoGP, Vintage style!!!

What you think??? 2005 maybe :cool:

Bob :beer:

11. Fireball

Good point. A smaller bike is much easier to get to handle well and responds better to suspension changes. It would seem that if they could both be made to be equal then no one should need the mono-shock. The smaller, lighter bikes will have a big advantage on tracks like Grattan where a large 4cyl. bike will ground out easily unless raised up very high.

12. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

harold page has wanted to finnish a wes cooley replica gs1000, but as long as the fz was in V5 he didnt need to. now maybe we will see it. i still believe a trickedout kz or gs with 17in wheels slicks works or ohlins shocks later model frontend and GMD sweet #'s would be nasty in V5.

13. Fireball

That sounds very GOOD.

14. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

V3

I'm coming to the party with a new RD to! Just a BIT more HP, some lighter wider wheels, larger forks bigger brakes and a fairing.. I am hoping to give a few of you thumpers a run......... :Poke:

(Jens if you need it you can use my aluminum removal toys :))

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  15. Yamaha Fan

If he needs some pics to authenticate it by I have some pit pics from the AMA national at Charlotte circa 1979

16. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Re: V3

Thanks for the offer but I have some. Quite a neat little assortment ranging from very small ones I made extensions for (when I did tiny little Honda 175 ports) to some pretty aggressive large balls, bullets, oval points, cones... you get the picture. What kind of builder would I be if I didn't have the basics?

So your RD is going to have a bit more HP? Damn... power wheelies in third?:D

17. Yamaha Fan

Re: Re: V3

Not sure about the wheelie thing, and with the way you were riding before the big bang... I think I will need all I can get...

18. STAN LIPERT

STAN LIPERT Well-Known Member

Well,goodbye Formula RD. My wife/racer Tina is pissed as hell her class is gone. In my opinion, the F-RD rules allowed way too much modification from the start. Unlimited porting, RZ boots to allow a boost bottle, carb boring, unlimited compression, piston porting-all too much. It should have been a more restricted spec class. I'd like to know what person has been asking for more mods! Just before the GNF, which I've missed by getting a kidney stone a couple days before, I've finally gotten around to dyno testing a couple more chambers that Rich Lucas has loaned me. My F-RD spec RD400 made 64.8HP with my "standard " heads and 66.3HP with another set of heads, with more midrange than any other combination of pipes and porting that I have tested or raced with-including my "torque" setup of two years ago. I haven't even exhausted the full allowance of the rules, I would still like to test large transfer ports and boost bottles, maybe matching the piston windows with the intakes. I speculated a couple years ago that someone may try to detune a 70HP barlow motor to F-RD spec and get 65HP, well, here's the same results from the other direction, up, not down. I have no problem with axing the least attended classes, F-RD was one of them. It will be interesting in V3-that I can guarantee! As an afterthought, how many riders will stop racing when they get fustrated racing against the top, developed bikes with their own less developed bikes? To be fair, do I reveal all of my hard-earned tuning secrects so that everyone has big power or do we go to full stock-spec rules? Opinions?

19. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Don't want to give you an ego trip, but the Bul don't outhandle an SV. You outrode 'em if you got by... ;)

20. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

its all in those leading axle forks i tell ya......:)

stan, mabe tina would like running one of the hondas in 350gp. i believe f500 and V3 will be much improved over last year, and most guys will continue to develope their bikes and hopefully some will give tim some competition.