1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Save the FZ 750 for V-5

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Raffy, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Raffy

Raffy Active Member

I thought I might throw this out for conversation before the GNF.
    I currently run a 85' FZ 750 in V-5 and get my ass handed to me by several bast____ , I mean friends on much smaller HP machines. This has turned into a hybryd class and a
    free-4-all on motorcycle parts that have been assembled to resemble a motorcycle, self included. Imagine the beer drinking
    it to to manufacture such art work....hmmm.

I feel that the FZ's should stay in V-5 and for a preformance
    index, look at the bikes in the first 2 rows of the GNF.

Have at it,

2. wera688

wera688 Well-Known Member

Too late:) The FZ750 is out of V5 as per the rulebook. It's time has come to move on.

3. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

All hope is not lost for fz owners. We'll(the vrc) be discussing the fz's fate at the gnf. Many other people have indicated that they'd like to see it stay in v5. One option thats been discussed is to keep them in but limit either chassis or motor to "superstock" spec. A fully built fz could easily crush the current v5 machines, but make them run Stock suspension or stock-ish motor and I don't think they're a mis-match for the class. What's the general concensus in bbs land?

4. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

There still is the possibility of keeping the FZ750 in V5. Yes, at a track like RA it would have a clear advantage power-wise but that power is also very difficult to put to the ground and makes the bike very difficult to ride at twistier tracks like NFMP, CMP and VIR. A restricted FZ750 would be easier to ride and won't have as clear a HP advantage over the rest of the V5 bikes.

I think rzracer39 pretty much sums up the general consesus among those people who've voiced their opinion over the past year.

5. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

My opionion - keep it in V-5 under superstock rules. Superbiked FZ's go to V-6. Consider GSXR750's in V-6. A properly set-up FZ750 can run with a similar vintage GSXR750

6. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

I agree with Joe. That would be fair. IMHO the GSXR holds an advantage, as it did back in the day. But in any set of rules, there's always a bike or two that are the best choice. But sometimes a good rider succeeds with a slightly less capable machine.

7. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

OK in V5 with a superstock motor, maybe allow wheel updating (like Raffy's I think). Page's which had a superbike motor was a rocket and was just blowing everything else away when it was running right.

I'm not sure the first two rows at the GNF is a good performance index, more likely a sign of persistance. Take the first two rows of finishers (top 5) and let that be the judge.

Joe Ball
    EX-500

(I beat Raffy at Putnam!)

8. Steve Fahey

Steve Fahey I need a new avatar

As a new V5 kinda guy, I am opposed to any machine that is potentially faster than mine!;) Only kidding...

I guess I'll let the powers that be make the Fz decision.

I'll be attending the GNF as a spectator (FJ6 is still apart) to scope out the competition for next year. See you all there!

9. Steve Fahey

Steve Fahey I need a new avatar

Has a final decision been made on the FZ750 issue? I heard at the GNF that the FZ will stay in V5. Have any decisions been made in respect to motor and/or chassis modification limits?

BTW...really enjoyed meeting some of you guys there. Looking forward to next year!

Steve

10. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

It's in for next year. Nice meeting you too.

11. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Mark,
    What mods will the FZ be allowed to have in V-5 for 2003? Same as 2002?

13. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

Let's hope it will have to be in SS trim. My little EX cant make over 100hp:p

14. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Sorry guys... I believe we voted on allowing the FZ with any/all mods. Although it has a definite advantage at a track like RA it hasn't proven to be a "sure thing" at others.

15. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Putnam Park was a good example not to mention Jon vs Harold at RRR.

16. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Interesting. Looks like I might consider a used FZ750 as a second race bike :D . Not. Maybe. I don't know. :rolleyes:

17. Raffy

Raffy Active Member

I agree on the RA vs smaller tacks.
    I can't sniff Rich Graver's GS Suzuki at Putnam.
    The FZ plus rider are giving up 100 - 150 lbs under braking
    to the smaller CC bikes. Plus all the beer in
    my tank makes it diffucult to ride.:D

18. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

I don't think it's beer.... we have pictures of that illegal fuel, ya know... :p

19. Raffy

Raffy Active Member

aahhh.... those damn pictures.
    I knew they would come back to haunt me:eek:
    Although, it does have a Cam2 aroma:Puke:

I need alittle more to catch Harold Page !!!