1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Savage Stevens

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Sep 21, 2021.

1. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

:stupid: You can’t think about it like a sane rational person. Yes, most of the people on here would change their course of action if a gun was pointed at them or even if they heard a round being racked…most people on here also wouldn’t be breaking in to a house. The person that is unlawfully in your house should not be treated like a normal person.

Glad it worked out for you Though Dave.

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I struggle to understand how this is not a political thread by the Beeb's standards.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds like a personal problem :crackup:

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:

5. cha0s#242

6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Explain your rationale, if you dare.

7. cha0s#242

Well, that would make it even more political, wouldn't it ? :D

8. nigel smith

Apparently, you don't have a hair on your ass. Man up and explain yourself!

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Britt and Gorilla George like this.
  10. cha0s#242

Okay then. Dave K and others are discussing the merits of using cocking sound as a deterrent for potential intruders. Other are saying they would shoot. You see where this is going ?

Phl218 likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No idea. :D

cha0s#242 likes this.
  12. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

Shotgun for home defense? No thank you, give me my AR or Glock with nights and tactical light.

As stated up in the thread, the racking of shotgun is bad form as you are delayed in having your weapon at the ready or you just ejected one round that could be used in the fight. Should be chambered ready to go with safety off. The sound of the racking is BS.

Beyond that:

Ever tried clearing a house with a long gun like a shotgun? (AR is much shorter) Turning corners, getting through doorways, etc. Its a challenge even when you know what your doing. Lots of blind spots by the time you get the barrel in rooms, around corners pointed where it needs to be even if using an 18" barrel. A competent criminal will disarm you if hidden properly then your proper F%$Ked.

Recoil - its big on a shot gun and if you dont shoot it often its going to catch you out and you could be on your ass.

Add all that to a new person looking for a home defense gun and its a bad combination.

Anyone who asks me about home defense that is not familiar with guns I point them to a revolver with a red dot laser for the simplicity. Revolvers rarely if ever jam, no messing with safety, laser puts round where you want it to go. (roughly) And then, get training, lots of it to become familiar withe weapon and how it/you reacts when you fire it. Once comfortable with guns, they can look at what suits them.

Yes, this is an oversimplification of the situation and nothing beats training but for the un-trained every day person, its probably the best solution IMHO.

Phl218 and Gorilla George like this.
  13. nigel smith

Over penetration is a concern with an AR. The racking of a shotgun has to have some value as a deterrent, but I'm hoping that the barking of my dog has already sent the would be intruder off in search of easier pickings.

14. :stupid:

If someone breaks into my home, they have lost the right to any courtesies, such as hearing rounds being chambered and/or warning shots.

If they get a warning shot, they should consider themselves VERY lucky…because it means I missed.

ToofPic and Evad101 like this.
  15. Depends on the model and/or ammo being used.

My primary home defense weapon is a CMMG Banshee AR-45 Pistol.

Light, short, easy to handle, (relatively) low recoil and with .45ACP Hollow Points, I’m not worried about over-penetration.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Whoa...

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  17. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Blah blah blah, aren't we all tacticool and shit!!!:Poke:
    I am really sure that I disagree with many of your opinions on this, such as a round chambered an safety off. Safeties do have a place in some situations and I know how to use them without fumbling. After 10,000 rounds through the Mossberg 500 I have had for about 50 years, I am pretty confident that having it with the chamber empty and the safety off is what will work best for me. How long do you think it takes me to get that firearm in condition 1?

18. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Honestly, clearing a house with a long gun is more difficult than you think. It requires both hands and if you round a corner muzzle first, you can lose the initiative. And only 4 shots?

Imo, a nice 9mm glock or whatever with extended mag and tactical light will give you the edge in almost all circumstances.

Evad101 likes this.
  19. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Some old, gray haired bumbling idiot said something about shotguns and long guns long ago....

20. What did you do with it after the first week?

:D

21. Phl218 likes this.