1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salvage Motorcycle Dealers..??

Discussion in 'General' started by mrc00l88, Jun 3, 2010.

1. mrc00l88

mrc00l88 Well-Known Member

Anyone know whats required in order to become a salvage motorcycle dealer, in NJ?

Need to know how to become registered to be able to purchase wrecked motorcycles from Insurance companys, and then how to get on a "list" so that they know that I'm a qualified 'SALVAGE' Dealer.

Or does anyone have a connection in NJ that would be willing to help me out.

Thanks.

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

I don't know about in NJ, but in MI it's a lot of work and money to get everything up and running. Much easier to have someone find you a bike and buy it from them

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Hymer Motors in AZ. Low initial investment.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Cold, dude... :p

5. vance

vance *

Not sure of NJ, but it's probably similar to other states:
    If you have an office space with parking lots, etc. and can open a 2nd business in it just to have a mailing address, that's the easiest.
    Otherwise:
    rent on a business location
    Untilities there
    Insurance and bonded
    dealers license
    Classes and annual continuing education
    City/county annual business license fees

If you're wanting to buy a few bikes a year for you and your friends, it's not worth it.

6. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

pretty much. Just wrote a renewal check for a few K just for insurance...fun stuff :)

7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

My employer/boss/good friends, just got their OHIO dealers/salvage license.
    I'm actually sitting here watching several Virtual bidding lots on COPART.
    I've got the green light to search and buy what I think is a profitable buy. We dabbled in this over the winter before they got their actual Dealers' license, and was quite successful.

I can only assume that the requirements are similar from state to state.
    In Ohio, your property has to be 55,000 sq/ft I believe.
    Fenced in yard with semi-opaque netting or vinyl slats attached to the fence.
    A county inspector must come and see the property.
    I had to take several pics of the property, the fixed sign, the office with a working counter, etc...and send them to the state.

My employer already had their primary business setup of 35yrs, so this was easier for them to do.
    Just alot of paperwork-emails, faxes, phone calls, tax papers...and then getting setup with the online auction sites themselves, is a job in itself.

8. mrc00l88

mrc00l88 Well-Known Member

i understand, thanks for the info guys. seems copart, i cant even buy unless i am a 'broker'.

anyone want to hook me up with a few bikes? :beer:

9. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Mob connections

10. fyyff

fyyff Well-Known Member

NC auctions are open to the public. There are only a few states that allow that to be done.