1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safety wire to pass tech. Help?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rickcastle, Jul 16, 2017.

1. rickcastle

rickcastle Member

My first post here - just getting into WERA hoping to do my first provis novice race in 2 months at Road A September 10th Sweet!

Been working on bike prep - and couple questions im not too definitive on.

Fwiw - bike is a 2014 R6

Rear axle nut - i found difficulty drilling the 32mm nut - so is a castle nut and drilling through the axle a better alternative (and allowed) or maybe tips on drilling the nut.. if the nut is a better method?

Oil galley - i believe this to be just the large nut on the front of the can?

**Oil fill cap and dipstick - cant find this for some reason in rule book - but assuming they need securing, is an "R" clip acceptable for quick removal ? Im notnsure what an r clip is - just saw referenced in my search for info...

Oil lines - not sure about this.

Brake pad retaining pins. - This seems bike specific but i think the rear is a threaded pin ? And the front is maybe clips?

Coolant drain - no problem just incomplete at time of screenshot.

Oil filter - I do have a K&N spare - but running OEM Yamaha filter just want to confirm I am able to still Hose Clamp + Safety wire it. Thanks

Everything highlighted black was told didnt apply to my specific R6..
    Blue highlight - my checklist for completed (drilled) stuff
    Green dash - questionable?

Searched lots of threads but most found were 5+ years old. Just want to make sure am getting most accurate up to date info.

Thanks ![​IMG]

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You can just drill the axle and put a safety pin in it.

Two oil galley plugs. They are aluminum. Super easy to drill and wire

Drill a hole in each side of the plastic oil cap. Drill a hole in the tab in the clutch cover. Wire to that.

No oil lines to wire on the R6.

Brake pad pins are not an issue, they have cap screws.

Coolant drain needs wire.

Hose clamp to oil filter, regardless of brand, is fine.

rickcastle likes this.
  3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I wire the coolant drain to the bolt up and left of it. I also wire the dipstick to that same bolt. Two holes in that bolt so u don't have to re-wire the coolant drain every time u change the oil.

For the rear brake pin, I drilled the cap and caliper body, then wire that to the caliper retaining bolt. Overkill for sure.

For the front brake pins, nothing is require. The OEM clips are safer than anything else.

rickcastle likes this.
  4. rickcastle

rickcastle Member

Thanks man - just the info i needed[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

5. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

I had a random question now that I think about it.

I had a safety pin style clip on the oil fill cap, safety wired to the case. Tech inspector said I had to have it hard-wired without clips since it was an oil-related part. I did the clip because in the RB it says the clips are ok for "most items but not oil drains or oil filters".
    No big deal, I pulled the pin and rewired it no problem.

But still I'm seeing a lot of clips/pins on the fill caps on other bikes.

I assume tech inspector > RB since it does say bikes need to pass the TI's discretion.

Or can I reference the manual if there are any discrepancies? No big deal but id just like to clarify

6. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Mongo has clarified previously that a clip for the oil fill cap is ok.

Lazy Destroyer likes this.
  7. Lazy Destroyer

Thanks!
    I'll try it again, maybe bring donuts for the guys running tech just in case :D

8. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Just be nice. Even if they say something you know is incorrect, just be nice and it will get resolved with very little drama. I worked tech, it's stressful, they are trying hard to be helpful I promise.

Lazy Destroyer and rickcastle like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Rulebook actually trumps the tech guys, we had some confusion on the clips recently that I hopefully got straightened out.

Lazy Destroyer and rickcastle like this.
  10. Lazy Destroyer

Thanks for the clarification!

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Rulebook or not, I'm not arguing with Reggie!:crackup:

TLR67, TurboBlew and Lazy Destroyer like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: I do it all the time :D

13. rickcastle

rickcastle Member

Update! Secured the date for Road Atlanta next month. Going to try to get there Friday afternoon-evening and rider school planned for saturday.

Did I mention my excitement?!

After a looong time, lots of drill bits, and a few drops of blood - here's where I stand.

So, does all fly? Especially the rear exhaust mount.

Thanks! Hopefully some are still following the thread. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Congrats! You'll have a blast!

Looks pretty good overall. You might want to incorporate clips into the front axle/pinch bolts, especially if you have two pairs of rims and change the wheel frequently.

Is the front right caliper wiring as loose as it looks?

15. rickcastle

rickcastle Member

Im looking forward to it a ton! Thanks!

The front pinch bolts - I used sharpie to mark where to drill them - and for some reason I just couldnt(at torque spec) get both bolts to line up all 4 holes straight. My option was to use an individual clip for each pinch bolt.. but then i just calculated it might be easier to just rewire it every time.
    - ill be needing a tire swap soon as i get there - so these wheels are in fact coming off and going to put my other set on. Yay extra practice wiring.

Front right caliper - i wouldnt consider it too loose but its definitely not perfect. Out of all the bolts - those 2 kicked my . all over the place when drilling.

mpusch likes this.
  16. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Nice to see to you did the oil cooler. The front brake pad "R" clips don't need replacing with wire, FWIW. You might want to look at the galley plugs on either side of the lower crankcase and the 10 mm bolt in the head that could use lock wire as well.
    No big deal, and what you've done will more than likely pass tech with no issues. Have fun, ride fast, take chances...

17. rickcastle

rickcastle Member

On the front brake pads, the manual was saying just so tech can see that the pins are secured. Well previously this was a road bike for 16k miles and hardly cleaned.

Basically was just black the plate the retainer pin the R clips. I spent a good time with a toothbrush making them as decent as i could. Now it all is smooth like butter. Cant wait to test how it feels without all that brake drag! I could see it in the pads uneven wear - it was not a good situation!
    I do intent on grabbing some new R clips for next time I change pads...safety wire wasnt needed - but was good practice. All new to me.

Oil galley. I used RTV on both left and right side. The right side is hidden by coolant lines.

10mm bolt.. hmm i might have Rtv it - or atleast used yellow slip paint all over the place.

18. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I used to replace the brake R clips when ever I thought they needed it...
    On the head, look at the upper left hand side and you will see the bolt I'm talking about. Much easier to do with the radiator removed. Most people (including most tech guys) don't know it's there unless they're Yamaha guys.
    I like to do the "U" shaped oil return pipe allen bolts on the front of the motor. Think about the oil dip stick too, I didn't see that in your pictures.
    RTV is probably good on the galley plugs, I like wire.

You're doing great and won't have any issues passing tech, just throwing some ideas at you. Have fun racing, you're going to love it.

rickcastle likes this.