1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safety Wire the oil filter....

Discussion in 'Tech' started by DBRepsol, Jun 2, 2007.

1. DBRepsol

DBRepsol Well-Known Member

since you cant drill a hole in the filter what is the common method to wire up the filter?? Thanks!

2. chase2000gt

chase2000gt Well-Known Member

Wrap a hose clamp around the filter and wire to that.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Or you can buy a K&N oil filter with the safety nut formed onto the filter.

But the hose clamp trick is pretty cheap!

4. DBRepsol

DBRepsol Well-Known Member

oh ok, very good thanks guys.

5. Wally Anderson

Wally Anderson Well-Known Member

K&N oil filters have a drilled nut on the end for safety wiring. Handy and the filter can be torqued.

6. Heavyweight 110

Heavyweight 110 Well-Known Member

CCS is going to require the hose clamp even if you run the K&N with the drilled nut.

7. D-Swens

D-Swens sniffin paint fumes

why would you tourque an oil filter?

8. Wally Anderson

I find that it's easier to torgue the oil filter (9 ft. lbs.) than following the directions on the filter of tightening until filter makes contact than further tightening by the numbers printed on filter until the correct number lines up with a reference point. Also, if you tighten the filter too tight it will leak.

9. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

CCS doesn’t require brake calipers, axels or pinch bolts to be safety wired. Why in the hell would they require an additional level of safety at the oil filter?

By the way, no they don't. I've been racing with K&N filters with CCS and WERA since 2005.

10. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

where did you hear/read this? and this is the WERA board.

11. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

i think torquing the filter would be the ultimate in overkill. overtightening to the point that it leaks would mean that you crushed the filter. just hand tighten it and wire it.

12. Wally Anderson

Bobby:
    The filter on a Ducati screws into a deep recess and is very hard to tighten by hand. That's why the nut formed into the the end of a K&N filter is nice.

13. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

what he said. It's not like your typical Japanese bikes. That nut on the end of the K&N is a god send!

14. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

gotcha.:up:

15. Heavyweight 110

Heavyweight 110 Well-Known Member

Some people race both CCS and WERA and we bounce from board to board.

I heard the "no can safety wire the K&N drilled nut" from the CCS tech guy in the riders meeting one week ago at MAM. He went on to say that the hose clamp will become mandatory for CCS.