1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safety wire alternative

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Oct 3, 2016.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

You wish fool. lol No But I told any of track riders around here that if they are looking to race to bring the bike to me and the bits and I will do them/ show them how to.

Yep, get a drill press or like I do, pull them off and put them in the vice, with some cutting oil and Dewalt titanium tipped bits, makes for an easy day.

BigBird and SmokeSignalRT like this.
  2. Always found it funny people will go through $50 in bits doing a bike because they keep breaking them but won't buy the proper tools to hold/ drill it

cajun636 likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Prayers

4. Gypsy tears

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

I was going to say Unicorn Blood, but didn't want to hurt any animals in the posting of my message

6. I keep a bottle of gypsy tears for when I can't find silicone or drill bits. Hard part is finding the unicorn blood to get the bolts off.

BigBird likes this.
  7. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

You guys don't use the splined washer that came stock and bends up over the sprocket nut so it can't come off ??

SmokeSignalRT and Metalhead like this.
  8. Pitdad42

Pitdad42 Well-Known Member

S
    Same thing I was thinking.

9. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

This thread has me wanting a workbench mounted drill press.

Who has recommendations??

cajun636 likes this.
  10. I don't know, but I don't think so because I know theres a paint stripe that goes across all of it (end of shaft and nut) so you can easily glance to see if it has moved.

odell2115 likes this.
  11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Buell chain conversion no such washer. Grease is the most effective fastener on the whole bike

12. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

CCS:)

13. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

You WANT to see it. We used Orange Hi-temp on a lot of stuff.

14. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

I can see clear silicone just fine. That orange and blue stuff looks like Fido's ass sewed up with barbwire.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Wheel Bearing likes this.
  15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

This combined with Broome's comments. Was going to run a bead across the nut and shaft to verify it hasn't moved

16. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

I use nail polish instead of paint marker. It can be chipped off and also acts as a semi torque seal. As long as you don't buy anything from harbor freight, all vices are good. I have a craftsman that is working good... holds stuff....

17. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Boom ... Nail Polish ^^^ :crackup::crackup::crackup:

18. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

Keeps her pretty ;)

19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Not every bike is set up like that, depends on the brand.

20. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

There's a local rider that loves the red rtv stuff. Every god damn bolt on the bike has it on there! It looks like shit.

Wheel Bearing and Slider82 like this.