1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safest form of payment.

Discussion in 'General' started by rowe748, Sep 26, 2012.

1. redleader

redleader Member

Ive seen too many cashier checks (from banks) and money orders (USPS) counterfited. USPS ones are going around big right now. Like I said... If you get a cashiers check for anything... and if there is doubtful collectability, take it to the bank that issued it before releasig any goods. The bank can tell.
    With money (cash) counterfitting, there are some really good ones. They all stick out like a sore thumb if you know what to look/feel for, unfortunatly its hard to describe/teach but one of those things you learn after handeling thousands of bills every day. Something just feels off.

2. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

More difficult than easy does not mean its hard. US Postal money orders are very difficult to counterfeit. Never gone in for more than a couple grand, but I have cashed multiples at the post office.

I don't exactly know everything that can be done with someones identity accompanied by their account number. Post yours on the web and let me know how it turns out.

3. My work here is done :)

4. ThrottleAbuse

It has been years since I saw a counterfeit bill. One of my employees took it and didn't know. When I was counting the days cash I felt it with my thumb when I was counting the stack. I knew right away. Took it over to the bank and they ran it through their machine. IIRC it was a $5 that was bleached then reprinted.

5. ThrottleAbuse

:moon: So I guess you aren't up for posting your info up then.

6. redleader

redleader Member

Yep, thats the best way to tell... by touch. I believe they use $5 because the micro strip in the bill is very close to where it is in either the $20 or the $100. I forget. Washing doesnt remove the watermark or the strip though. we get one about once a month.

Ive seen people use Gel pens to fake the color changing ink on the numbers. Also saw someone try to fake a watermark by printing the outline on the back of the fake bill. Looked good until you flipped it over :rolleyes:

7. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

rare bike?

my question is? is your bike one of a kind or special enough to ship it half way across the country? like they don't have bikes in florida? though I did sell a mint W650 kawasaki to a lead singer in a popular grundge rock band out in seattle a few years ago and took a cashier's check . yeah it was good but I never could get confirmation from either bank mine or his that it had cleared . he couldn't either so after a few weeks he sent a truck to pick it up. yeah it was a nice bike and he wanted it that bad. cash is king though . hold it to the light . it's hard to fake a watermark. just be careful . bill and darethea

8. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

postal money order

can you really cash a money order at a post office where you are? yeah we can buy them here( cash only) but they will look at you like a fool if you try to cash one at a post office around here. they'd probably call the law in on you. just curious about that? bill and darethea

9. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Wire transfer........once the bank clears it (releases it into your account) it's done. No way of getting f'd after that.

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

So have we determined the "safest form of payment" yet?

11. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

So you provide your bank account number along with the bank's routing number to the buyer?

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

All the time.

13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

As previously stated, it's on every check you right as well.

14. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

15. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm liking the idea of setting up a temporary bank account. Bill the bike is a 2006 ducati sport 1000. They are getting difficult to find for a decent price which is why I believe he wants mine.

16. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

17. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

I do this a lot and I always use a wire transfer, or escrow company. It's that simple. Cash, checks, Money orders, cashiers checks and the like can be counterfeited too easily.

18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Couple a hereford's and 20 Banty's, I like it!

19. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Most smaller PO's don't have a lot of $$ on hand to cash a big MO. It's a 2-day process when I cash them. First day, validate the MO and let them know I intend to cash it. Second day, they have the cash waiting.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Who was that masked man?