1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe to remove tank vent lines?

Discussion in 'General' started by hearno33, Nov 5, 2017.

1. hearno33

hearno33 Well-Known Member

I have a 2005 R6 (track only) and recently removed the gas tank to seal a leak. The vent line hoses are in the way and I had read somewhere that guys will just remove them completely. Is that accurate or should I leave them on. I wasn't planning on plugging the nipples on the bottom of the tank, just leaving them open. Anyone have any input? Thanks.

2. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Chuck them and don’t plug the nipples.

3. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

One's a vent, the other is a overflow. Careful when you fill the tank, or it'll get a little messy under there..

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The hoses just give the overflow a route straight to the ground from under the tank rather than bathing the top of the motor and other stuff under there in gas should you overfill. Do with them as you wish :)

5. hearno33

hearno33 Well-Known Member

Super. Thanks for the info gents.

6. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

How often do people fill their tank? We’ve got one track that requires it for a 20 lap race, still don’t have any leakage.

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Why are they in the way? If they're routed correctly they should have a clear path to the belly pan and are pre-bent.

I don't understand why you'd remove them. Call me a nervous nelly if you want, but when I eat shit and my bike is leaking fuel from the vent while it's lying in the gravel, I'd prefer the fuel isn't leaking on top of my engine.

I know most guys yank them off, but I think that's lazy. They're there for a reason.

Murcielago311 and badmoon692008 like this.