1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S h i n k o - use it?

Discussion in 'General' started by TD137, Feb 20, 2009.

1. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

I'm looking at a bike this weekend and the guy put a new rear tire on it. It's a Shinko (!) 005 Advance something or another...http://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/product.php?id=4.

In figuring a good price for said bike, I'm thinking this tire may need replacing BUT need some fact-based, first-hand opinions (no hearsay) on Shinko and hopefully this specific tire. I've rode on touring tires before and feel I have enough self control to ride on something that does not stick as well as your typical name brand sticky tires.

The bike is lightweight vtwin (wonder what that could be) that will be used for street only. Which means: commuting, spirited weekend rides in the twisties, and touring (rain, yes).

If it's good enough for the street, I'll use it.

2. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

the search button is your friend.

3. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

yes it is. And it all it finds are opinions on these things.

4. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

Looking for someone that's actually used them.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

two minutes with google

8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

you won`t find anyone that uses them here, we know better

9. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

+1

or... go ahead and use them, but let us know first, so we can all show up and laugh while we help you put your bike back together...

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think you would find that, if they were good for racing, someone here would be all over them because of cost. For track days and street, different game - read the links I posted.

11. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

We have sold and mounted literally thousands,no real problems.
    It's a good street tire and reasonably priced for the broke squid/stunter.
    There is no way I would take it to the track.

12. sideways_skinny

sideways_skinny i need about, tree-fitty

i have tried it on the rear of my 2005 r6. it is complete and utter crap. at a mild mountain pace (GA 129) it slides bad. i have gone quicker on a conti attack (a sport touring tire.) also, while it slide easily, it is not consistent in the least, and the mileage is shit, though i took it off after 1000 miles (it looked half done.)

13. lrrs311

lrrs311 r6racer311

My good friend, has a great shop,and they also have sold tons of 'em to broke/cheap squids as well,and never had a prob. I've ridden some bike's with the shinko's(never aggressively though)and they seemed ok,for mild street riding..

14. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I put a set of the shinko 005 advance on my YZF 600 when a little down on cash.

Tires seemed a bit oversized. the 120/60 front barely cleared the fender, a Pirelli 120/70 fits fine. The rear was also oversized.

Initally they seemed to grip OK for a ST tire, but the steering felt a bit 'dead'

The 005 advance wore like Iron and after 2000 miles rode like it too.

Wet grip when new was acceptable, after 2000 miles grease on glass would have been preferrable.

This is the only tire I have ever removed from one of my bikes before hitting the wear bars (appx 2500 miles), and I didn't regret it.

My riding is best described as 85/15 agressive street / slab, generally I get about 3,000 miles from a set of S/T tires (Diablo Strada), 2,000 from sport tires (Diablo)

Hope that helps.

15. snikwad

snikwad Well-Known Member

this thread delivers. lol

16. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info and PMs. There were no heavily negative or firsthand crash comments on these. (Most comments I found searching were from nay sayers from the sidelines: 'get what you pay for', 'money saved won't outweigh crash damage', 'you'll shoot your eye out', etc.) The article linked gave them a "favorable" review from a credible source. This comment stands out...

"With the PSSR-mandated outside passing rule in effect, the Shinko's cornering prowess were on display as I made my way around many a slick-shod Supersport rider, and there is no arguing that is a testament to these tires offering comparable grip."

Bought the bike. It's not big on power. I'm going to do one good ride on them and take it from there. The comment about lack of rain grip is a bit concerning.

17. bardo

bardo Well-Known Member

ive seen people do pretty good street pace with them. knee down and all. he wrecked a few days later, but thats a weekly happening for said dillweed. id play around on the street with them if someone gave a set or something.

18. akillya

akillya TPL Racing Squadra Corse

WTH, you cant find a Tomahawk tire dealer in your area? :) Them are sweet! I like the red ones!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  19. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

stunter/busa tire imo.

I bought a bike with shinkos on it.I was pretty much a novice rider on cornering.Even being slow the rear would break loose easily.Took the tires off within 2 weeks and gave them away.

20. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

Yeah I'm not familiar with the models but there is a "super sticky" model that's real popular with the Bandit crowd, but it's only sticky in a straight line I'd imagine. Do a big burnout 'til it pops and video it, then post it here.