1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rz350 frame mods

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by bogganman, Mar 12, 2014.

1. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg After another scolding fr. my buddy Kevin Brown...."I can't believe you're still racing on an unbraced frame",I decided to take matters into my own hands. All bracing was done with 3/4" steel tubing (bought at lowes),a mig welder and a bench grinder. Steel plates at the steering head. I've always admired the Ducati trellis on my 900ss.So I mocked up the cut and fitted pieces with tape, then welded in, then cleaned up, primed and painted.I was in full fabrication mode when Talladega rolled around, and my freshly bored cylinders weren't back fr. the machinist yet. Too damn busy at work these days.......

2. bogganman

a few more pix

Attached Files:

3. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

that looks awesome! I am not a mechanical or structural engineer (electrical) but it looks like it definitely will improve that single piece of tube.

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Great looking work bogg...by the way, did you modify the FZ swingarm on your bike?

5. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

What? You mean I need to brace my RZ frame??

No time for that...it will have to do for now!

6. Moore007

Moore007 Well-Known Member

Were you having problems with the frame as it was?
    The work looks great, I was just wondering?

7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Stock RZ frames flex way too much especially with better wheels and suspension added. I would add 2 more braces. One behind the radiator tying the two frame rails together and one going across under the engine.

8. bogganman

Once I picked up the pace in the corners I started noticing some frame flex. You are absolutely right Joe.Turn 4 @ Roebling, before during and after the tunnel turn at Barber, the "end of the straight" 180 at Talladega:high G force turns. And I wanted to be proactive before I got spit off.It seems to work: I won the formula vintage race and took second in open two stroke at the arhma Sunday round at Roebling.A 2000 model tz250 motored me in that one.But I did put a wheel in on him 3 times to keep him honest.:DThe fzr swinger has the ubiquitous mods: a few thous off the mounting points and inner spacers.It was actually harder to fit the technomags. I've also braced the frame on my new tz373 project although not quite so extensively.

9. bogganman

The ds7 frame bracing I'll defer to Mr.Charles :Poke:

10. rd400racer

The reason I asked about the FZ swinger is that I'm getting ready to do that project and every site I've found makes it to be a huge deal. Then I've heard a couple of others like yourself that say it's no big deal, just grind a bit off.

Is that all that there really is to it? Did you have to re-do the relay arms?

11. charles

charles The Transporter

Not quite that simple…and yes, depending on what you desire for ride height, you need to set up the relay arms properly…I've done it, let me know if you need any specs.

12. rd400racer

Will do Charles. I'll hit you up tomorrow when I'm on my real computer. Looking to use either an F4i or R6 shock.

13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

And he used my chassis set up numbers.:up:

14. charles

charles The Transporter

Yes indeed…Joe found the 'sweet spot.'

15. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Nice looking work Keith!:up:

Funny.....I was thinking Ducati on the first pic.