1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryobi 18v tools

Discussion in 'General' started by Sean Jordan, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

good accessory if you want to dress up and pretend like you're doing some work. Battery life is ok and the price makes them disposable. Most of my guys go for the Milwaukee & Bosch stuff in the shop first.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It's gonna be hard to color match those tools with your work outfit.

4. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

I'm not using these tools to earn a living; basically I want something I can use when I need it, but I won't be needing them that often. I need decent, but not the best. (But I also don't want to buy total crap or Fisher Price stuff.)

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Ryobi is pretty decent stuff overall. Some tools are good, some, not my favorite.

Here's what I have and my thoughts on each:

1/4" impact - work great, on my 3rd(wore out my original remodeling my house, one at home, one at work.
    1/2" impact - have 2(work and home), only issue is that my work one will drop the voltage to the point it cuts out. Large battery is a must.
    1/2" drill - its ok, but not on par with my dewalt.
    sawzall - my new dewalt kicks its ass. Mine is the old blue one. Maybe the new ones are better.
    Flashlight - works well.
    Lantern - works well.
    Calk gun - never used it.

If I was starting over, I'd look at the new Milwaukee stuff. Dewalt is pissing me off with phasing out the 18v lithium in favor of the 20vMax.

6. Quick10

Quick10 Habitual Offender

They're fine for light projects around the house.

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Look into the Rigid stuff. Lifetime battery warranty is a nice feature.

8. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

love my 1/4" impact! :Putter:

9. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

+1

I have all of those in the set. Started off with the driver and flashlight and picked up the circular saw and sawzall. They all work decent for the average homeowner. I've put mine through the paces pretty well and the devices have held up well. Drill has fallen many times from an 8' stepladder....sometimes onto concrete. No problems.
    I've had problems with the batteries. If you have a Direct Tools Outlet nearby, you can usually get batteries at a pretty decent price. They have the small batteries and the big ones. The only difference I saw between the small ones and the big ones is the big ones have the button you can push to check the charge (green/yellow/red).

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Best value in cheap homeowner grade battery tools. Haven't seen anything that would discourage me from recommending them for light use.

I'm a Milwaukee tool guy myself now. Dewalt pissed me off with their shit service center service and employees. Took them three tries to fix one of my 1/2" drills--and refused to fix it the last time because it was beyond the 90 day repair warranty until I called the DM to bitch about it (I always ran my drills in rotation, when they came back from repair they were shelved until the current drill went in for repair...the drill literally was still covered in assembly lube).

That said, I still prefer my dewalt drills to the Milwaukee. Much more oomph, I can drive a 1-3/8" ships auger with the DC925, not with the Milwaukee. :down:

11. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

I use one take with me to the track light stuff around the house, drilled out some metal pieces on the bike worked okay.

12. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Brother has a bunch of the Ryobi + cordless. Dont think he ever had issues with them.

13. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

14. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Kawasaki, Ryobi. Which says I'm the coolest? OP already said it won't be used much. Only way Ryobi wins, a name change to Yamaha.

16. joec

joec brace yourself

Youre supposed to be in hi vis on the job site anyway.

The rigid battery replacement is mail in, and you have to keep the reciept. Been there, done that.

For around tour house, thats a great little set. We actually have a 10 ryobi chop saw we crash around on job sites with. Its perfect for mitering outsides, and for coping.

If you need some light duty tools to put together furniture, hang pictures, or build bicycles....those are perfect. Go for it.

17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Ryobi stuff is actually pretty good. We buy our guys here at work that exact set and have very few problems with them. Home Depot stands behind the warranty too. That is very nice. We work the tools hard. We are a mechanical piping contractor. I use them at home too. The only issue I ever had was a broken selector switch. I found the part online for 12 buck and replaced it in about 10 minutes. I also bought an electric ratchet from Milwaukee. I paid what I consider to be a lot for a single tool, one battery and charger. It broke in 60 days. I took it back to HD and they shipped it off to Milwaukee for repair and I haven't seen it since.

18. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I have the drill and circular saw. Two years, no problems. Drill metal, aluminum, built a shed with it.

I love the drill actually, bought a buddy one for xmas as well.

I also see lots of maintenance guys with smaller budgets use these in food plants.

Love the tool snobbery some people love to exhibit "if you wanna pretend you're working". Lol

19. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

I have the impact driver and drill in that set. And the flashlight.
    I have used it quite a bit and have had no issues.
    Impact and light get used the most. I used the impact driver to do all of the ceiling and wall work on my 800 sq ft detached garage and zero issues. I probably used it nonstop for a few days and 1000's of screws without a problem.
    For light or heavy home use I'd definitely recommend it.

The forward/reverse switch is a little cheapy but works.

Of course for professional use their might be better but from what you describe, it should fit the bill.

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The last Ryobi thing I bought blew up the 2nd time I tried to use it.

YMMV