1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RTV on drain plug?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Ungarisch, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Ungarisch

Ungarisch Well-Known Member

I'm taking both my sport bike and supermoto to a track day this weekend because I want to ride them both as it's a small-ish circuit. My sport bike has the drain plug safetywired, but on the supermoto it's physically impossible to do so as it uses a giant M26 hex head plug. See photo below.

I emailed the organizer and they said that if I RVT my drain plug they will accept that as an alternate.

I've never done this before so my question to you guys is; where exactly am I supposed to put the RTV? On the threads of the plug? or on the outside of the plug? and if outside how much? Is this more of a marker to see if the plug has moved?

Attached Files:

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Outside edge on the plug and the case to keep it from spinning, usually just a big blow on one side is sufficient.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW it's easy enough to drill it for wire too, just start to drill a bit outside of one of the flat edges of the hex hole (call it 1/3 distance to the edge of the bolthead) to get it started then angle the bit towards the hole.

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

5. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Or aftermarket:

[​IMG]

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You can buy a drain plug that is external hex, as opposed to an allen socket, at any auto parts store.

7. G2G

G2G I feel the need

do the RVT for this trackday but you can drill that drain plug you have as that the same one I have on my supermoto. But you should safety wire it from here on out. Buy an aftermarket or drill it on an angle. You don't want to be "that guy" and have an issue on the track.

lopitt85 likes this.
  8. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

If you know how to weld or have a budy that can, you can tack a little tang on ther to safety wire to. Couple minutes of work and another option for you.