1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rodger says More Taxes!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Slider82, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

I know he was trying to get a rise out of MTK, but it gives me an excuse to bring up one of my favorite subjects.

Income tax.

Conceived as a way to relieve WW2 debt with a temporary
    1 percent tax, 50 years later it has become a serious problem with no end in sight.
    The best solution I have found is a national sales tax.
    Instead of being taxed for working, you're taxed when you buy.

Take a look at Fairtax.org

It looks like a lot better deal than we have now. :)

Thoughts?

2. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Yeah, but no matter where the gov. gets the tax $$ from folks will still complain.

What is the real benefit to taxing consumption vs taxing income?

3. tcasby

tcasby Banned

It put's the tax burden on the poor where it belongs. :rolleyes:

:D

4. Shyster d'Oil

:D :D :D :p :p !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still laughing!

5. Slider82

Well, the first benefit would be collecting taxes from people who make their living outside the law. You know, drug dealers, thieves, hookers, pimps, etc.
    The people who make a lot of tax free money under the current system.

6. Shyster d'Oil

i have heard that European countries derive most of their tax revenue from sales taxes. Anyone?

7. Slider82

I can see you haven't done any research at all and have no idea what the Fair tax does for the poor. Visit the website and educate yourself.

8. Slider82

But, do you know why it's not funny?

9. jwb

jwb but... I AM NAPOLEAN!!!!

actually, income tax was first instituted in the u.s. in 1861 to finance the civil war. after the war was over, it was repealed.

the government then tried it again in 1894 and it was found to be unconstitutional.

it was then brought back in 1909 under the guise of an excise tax and passed through the court system.

WWII was when it became a mass tax. example, in 1939 only 6% of americans were subject to income tax, whereas, that number jumper to 75% by the end of 1945.

they have not looked back since...

10. tcasby

tcasby Banned

Actually your right - I haven't. I was still in tongue and cheek mode. Doesn't make any difference though. It's not going to happen, at least not in our lifetime.

11. Shyster d'Oil

It is funny b/c it may be true. Doesn't a larger portion of of a lower income person's income get spent on taxable items than a wealthy person?

But I'll look at fairtax tomorrow - i'm beat. Later!:)

12. Not true. It's important, but it's not "most."

BTW, the VAT consumption tax is applied to both goods AND services in Europe, and it currently stands at 16%.

Income tax rates vary somewhat from country to country, but they generally tend to be very high. Germany's income tax rates are 16 to 45% of net income.

Other things that are taxed in Germany:

- Corporate Income
    - Real Estate
    - Real Estate transfers
    - Solidarity Surcharge (makes West Germans pay for East Germany reconstruction)
    - Inheritance and Gifts

These are Federal taxes. There are also local taxes and lots and lots of user fees. For instance, my mother-in-law pays fees for city water and sewer, and in addition pays a sliding-scale sewer fee for the total square meters of non-permeable run-off surface on her property.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

A tiered flat tax.

Get rid of Welfare (as it stands today).

Increase corporate tax.

Eliminate tax shelters and tax havens for corporations who set up off shore.

Shoot all the lawyers.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh, legalize marijuana and tax the holy F@ck out of it. Stiffen the penalties for possession, use and distribution of “harder” drugs.

Eliminate the over crowding in America’s prisons through work details, extradition, execution and free ranging prisoners in open (but fenced, mined and heavily patrolled) prison areas in “less hospitable” and low population areas of the US. Less prisoners equals less cost equals less of my money going to warehouse the trash of America and the world.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Another benefit would be fairess. It doesn't cost anymore for Bill Gates to cross the bridge than it does for me. It doesn't cost more to defend him from Russia either.

As far as Europe is concerned, I believe the taxation rates in France are even higher than what S&S describes. Shockingly enough, France and Germany are the two countries that are out of compliance with the European Community's guidelines on budget deficit.

16. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

What was the name of that Kurt Russell movie?

:D

17. merle4

merle4 Menace to sobriety

Escape from New York, I believe.
    Merle

18. El Amin

El Amin Well-Known Member

Don't forget the spine tingling sequel, "Escape from L.A." :D

19. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, low income working folks are getting hammered at the gas pump right now. With a VAT maybe the taxes on necessities could be reduced.

20. Great idea! I've always wanted to pay over $4 a gallon like my European relatives do.