1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Trip Advice - Appalachia for a week (TN, NC, VA)

Discussion in 'General' started by TD137, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

I did 2000 miles last year in 5 days nothing but 2 lane twisty roads. We went to VA, WV, NC, KY, GA TN, and SC.

The skyway rocks Hit that. Just look on google for good roads thats what we did. KY had the best roads out of all of them. There was nobody on them and we just blasted for 400 miles in one day from KY to the skyway. Hit the skyway at night and it was one of the best rides ever.

South of Roanoke has some good riding. I can't remember exactly where we went but 40 was awesome, along with parts of 221 and 8. Some parts of the BRP are awesome. I hit very little traffic during the middle of the week.

If you can hit the 16 from Marion to catham hill. you can even take it to Tazewell. Just as tight but 100 times the elevation change of the deals gap.

Have fun!

2. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

Some of the roads North of Helen GA used to be good. They have an extra lane on the up hill side of the road. Real fun to have two lanes.

3. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

BRP

Did the BRP top to bottom mid-April 2005. A little chilly, but no traffic. The rangers/staff waved as we railed past. They seemed to be busy preparing for the "season" and many of the park areas were still closed. It was worth doing, but I am in no hurry to redo it either.

Attached Files:

4. invaderzoom

invaderzoom Well-Known Member

68 South of the skyway is pretty good also....very low traffic the couple of times I was out there last year...from there I headed out toward Hiwassee in NC...a little bumpy at times but I enjoyed it...only issue is that 90+ octane becomes a little hard to come by so top up whenever you can.

Also +1 on the skyway -1 on the dragon....do the skyway...skip the dragon.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  5. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Oh on the skyway what mile marker is that decreasing radius left? It's right next to a huge drop. I decided not to brake into that corner and really lay into it. I got a bit more than I asked for Alll I could do was pray, lean some more, roll the gas on and relax my arms. Barly made it. Somebody will know the corner I'm talking about.