1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Racing World, RRW, magazine subscription

Discussion in 'General' started by Cam Morehead, Oct 16, 2017.

?

Do you subscribe to RRW magazine, digital or paper

1. Yes

78.1%
  2. No

21.9%
  1. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Yes I get both paper and digital. Prefer print. Can't stand reading a screen.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  2. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

"no!

why (applies in general to all tech/auto/moto magazines, from a reader`s point of view that is doing track days (no racing))?

0) paper waste (however, there was a time that a cool poster was in a magazine)
    1) don`t need to see ads on paper (no ad blocker for that)
    2) don`t need to see any more online ads either (online tracking, here have this ad now because your finger by mistake clicked on a link that was hidden)
    2) what is the point ?! (only if there was a way to get the info that you need, searches that are "focused" on only what you need, from multiple source, that some might be sponsored or not, and also to get opinions from other people, hmm, that actually own/use that product)
    3) so far, I never saw a magazine give a real product review (wonder why ? imagine a long page of why you should not get this product, or here are all of the good parts, but be aware of this issue)
    4) never purchased a product because I saw it in a magazine ...
    5) who cares that someone was impressed by X product, on Y conditions, based on Z requirements ?! especially if it doesn't apply to the readers needs (which might be A, B, C)?
    6) in EU they tried to give free stuff, once in a while, with the purchase of a magazine (it lasted for a while, got tired of the fancy stickers also ...)

in other words, the brochure shopping doesn't work for me, so why should I spend any amount of money to see ads?!

"commercials are the backbone of the business" (hard translation from another language) ?
    - let the product speak for itself :)
    - people that are impressed by the product will usually recommend it to someone else (especially that this is a very small audience);

if I have the time in the day to think about how a racer is doing, I will not login into a platform, search for a magazine that might be at home and I am at work or traveling (and so on).

need an unbiased opinion about some product, besides the tons of review that one can filter thru via online sources, one might just start a conversation with other riders at the track or during the canyon rides :)

in 7 years spent in my region, I never heard someone talking about a magazine ... maybe I am in the wrong crowd ?!

I do remember the times when in various motorcycle magazines, there were detailed instructions about suspension setup for track and street, detailed brake systems how to, engine maintenance and so on, but these days is just a bunch of BS from people that might never hold a wrench in their hand!

sorry for the long reply!"

With the author's permission, I posted this publicly. I do not want a flaming reply to this person. I do however disagree with a few items.

0) Fair enough, I don't throw mine away.
    1) I don't pay attention to the ads but they don't bother me
    2) I read the paper edition, I have the online 1 also but don't use it
    2) I never throw a RRW magazine away. I look through old issues to see reviews of products
    3) I totally disagree and have 1st hand information since I know JU and CU personally. They don't endorse stuff unless they believe in it. The tire warmer review comes to mind.....
    4) I have
    5) I do. If a respected racer believes in a product, I will try it. My helmet comes to mind....
    6) I don't want free stuff from RRW. I will gladly pay for a hat or shirt.

RRW right now has articles on how to build budget race bikes.... R3 and SV come to mind. I started this thread to say this "Support the people that support your sport." Maybe I am the crazy 1 here....

I had a very good friend ask for some racing tires from me years ago. I said "Let me see what my cost is on them." He replied "Just charge me what everyone else pays. As a friend, I want you to stay in business." Well, I want RRW to stay in business.....

TLR67 likes this.
  3. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

I used to. I'm not a fan of the editor so I don't anymore. Doesn't mean you shouldn't.

4. CMRA 270

An uneducated guess is half. Of that half, probably the majority used to race but no longer do.

5. Cam Morehead

I assume you mean JU. Thank you for your honesty. I would hope no one criticizes you for your opinion. I do have a couple questions though... Do you race or did race in CMRA? Does CMRA use air fence? My point is RRW and staff at RRW give back to organizations and racers. You don't have to answer but I did want to at least ask. Thanks.

6. CMRA 270

I do now, yes. I'm very aware that RRW runs the air fence program and we (CMRA) are grateful participants in that program. It's not a CMRA thing, it's my own deal with JU. Totally personal and has nothing to do with racing or RRW.

7. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Can’t we just skip RRW directly and just give directly to the airfence fund?

I am sure I will take shit for it but as far as I know RRW isn’t a charitable organization, so why should we treat it as one? That goes for a lot of stuff around here.

Just my opinion of course. I will continue to contribute to road racing...by gridding up.

CMRA 270 likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Roadracing World the magazine supplies at no cost all of the personnel and normal expenses to run the Action Fund. The magazine directly supports air fence for you.

9. ineedanap

So if I buy a $20 subscription, how much of that money goes to airfence?

That’s like buying a $4 happy meal to get a 20 cent toy.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What does that have to do with anything?

You intimated RRW doesn't have anything to do with the Action Fund. I said it did/does. Don't really care if you like that fact or not. You can do whatever you like with your money.

11. ineedanap

I was preparing for the inevitable arguement. :)

Thanks for clearing up how it works.

12. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

RRW is a charitable organization. John Ulrich and his magazine has done more for the sport than you can imagine. I'm sure he has not been paid for all the time he has devoted to the competitors.

13. Cam Morehead

Yep. Do you have contact info? If not, I can provide. Thanks, Cam

14. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Print and digital for quite some time now. I actually like the ads, let's me see some cool things that are out that I can't afford :) Also love the track schedules in the back. Only complaint is design issues that I can't stand (mainly, the type layout) and I've messaged JU about it before, but thats just a personal opinion.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  15. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

How about an app for iPad or iOS so it’s easier to read the mag online

16. condon66

condon66 Member well known

3 months since I subscribed...when can I expect a mag in the mail?

17. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Give them a call. Something seems amiss.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  18. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Yeah I'll have to do that and see what's up.

19. Roadracing? What’s that? I thought this was the Trucks‘n‘Guns forum. :whoosh:

MachineR1 likes this.
  20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Nope, it's the "everything is better in Germany" forum.