1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Atlanta Gearing

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Garrison, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

Hey,

I'll be running RA here in about 5 days; I need to know what the appropriate gearing would be? I'm on an 06 CBR 600rr, currently -1/+2. Would just dropping the rear by two teeth solve any issues (like blowing my engine from bouncing it off the limiter) on the back straight(s)?

Thanks!

2. Stephen81

Stephen81 Well-Known Member

I think you would be better going with the stock front sprocket and keeping the rear at +2

3. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I disagree, +2 on rear would probably have you on rev limiter on back straight. When I raced, I was on a GS500 and used stock gearing at Road Atl. there are lots of gearing threads, search if you can

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  4. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

-1, stock rear, YMMV. If you find yourself right at the rev. limiter at the end of the back straight, drop one more on the rear (thats good for another 500 rpm's.)

5. tazrider

tazrider Greenwood Racing Wera 71

It suuuuuuure would be nice if someone had a thread here ONLY for gearing and made it a sticky. It would be perfect for the new racers and the racers that changed bike often.

just a thought

6. Fairchild

Fairchild Well-Known Member

What Todd and Fuzy said!

7. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Stock gearing on the Honda. Have you ever run nashville? Same gearing. JMO Tdub

8. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I agree with taz!!!

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Experiment a little

You could always bring a -1 front, a stock front,
    then rears with stock, +1, +2 and do a little experimentation, take notes, and decide for yourself the optimal gearing for you bike, style and abilities.

I have been contemplating this same exact idea for the upcoming NESBA weekend at Road Atlanta. I'm bringing my 2005 GSXR1000 that I just converted to track use. My 2001 was -1/+2. It felt perfect.

I bought the 2005 new, and put 1220 street miles on it in 5 years. Waste.
    Time to put it on the track where I will use it and enjoy it.

So, I'm thinking of running stock gearing on Day 1.

-1 in Front on Day 2

-1F/+1R on Sunday morning

-1F/+2R on Sunday afternoon.

I'll probably just leave the -1F and change rears since they're a little easier to change.

10. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Every bike differs some in its internal gearing, but from what I can tell final drive changes seem fairly consistent within CC ranges at least. a 1000 will use a much different gearing from a 600 I am sure.

I run OEM gearing at Road Atlanta with an 06 GSXR 600. The 600 does not have the horsepower to actually pull itself to redline straight up and down with OEM gearing, but if you are WOT through T9, as you lean through the tire gets smaller and the RPMs climb and it will ramp damn close to redline if not rev limit. Rev limit cranked over at 155+/- MPH would NOT be fun IMO.

I use the same at Nashville. I MIGHT be able to run +1 rear or so, but the gain in gearing is not worth the loss in wheelbase for those tracks IMO. I like the wheelbase long at both of them

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  11. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

Well thank you very much for the information, but what does gearing have to do with wheelbase?

12. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

the only thing it has to do with it is how long you like your wheelbase to be. Some tracks, the bike handles better with a short/long wheelbase (IE: where the axle sits in the swing arm). If its a track like Road A that most bikes typically like a tad longer wheelbase, then you just cut your chain long enough to keep the wheelbase you want with the gearing you prefer. You don't adjust your gearing based on the wheelbase, just adjust the chain length itself.